FINALLY!!! Down to the nitty gritty! Some of these are self explanatory...
Here it is in it's KA attire.
Engine out, time to get the old trans out...
Here is the KA and the VG sitting side by side. I measured the two and from front-to-back the KA is actually about 1" longer. Later I found out that this space wasn't goin to do me any favors, as the transmission/transfer-case for the VG is also 1" longer from the front of the bell-housing to the transmission mount.
And WALA! We have VG in D21! Not quite, but nice to see where my attention needs to be directed to next. It fits quite nice.
Here is a bunch of pics, showing tight locations, and areas I thought I would have problems, or areas others had clearance issues. Also, from my measurements the engine needs to be shifted to the passenger side about 1". So clearances in some areas will actually be better, and others slightly tighter.
First off is the valve cover area in relation to the vacuum booster. It is tight, but it clears.
Steering shaft and the waste-gate actuator want to mingle, but they clear.
These next two, you can see the GM mount and how it sits on the frame. There will need to be an adapter fabricated. The factory Nissan adapter plate fits nicely, which you will see on the passenger side. You can also see the AN fitting for the oil cooler return. Also notice that I am not running AC, cause these pictures would be taken mostly up by the compressor otherwise.
Footnote: I have a lot of oil pan clearance near the front diff, but this could be partly due to that this truck had the KA, which means that it only has a R180 front diff. The V6 trucks all came with the larger R200 front diffs. I actually aquired the larger unit, but since I only plan to use 4WD in snowy conditions, and not for all-wheel-drive burnouts, I think the R180 will hold up fine.
Alternator clearance. I thought for sure I was going to have a problem here since the alternator hangs so low on this. But I have room to spare, even if I shift it over a bit. It's hard to see but I have the Nissan VG adapter plate under the motor mount on this side, and the angles line up perfectly. All I need to do is some minor fabrication to enlarge the mounting point so I can bolt the GM mount to it.
Oil filter/Oil pressure sender clearance. Here was another concern area for me. I already modified the oil pressure sender with a 90 and you can see where the output for the oil cooler will be coming from. This is with the engine raised an inch or so off the mounts...
And finally, this is a shot down the back. I have lots of room here, but unfortunately I found that I still need to drop the torsion arm cross-member in order to get enough room to work the transmission around so I can line it up for the engine.
This is the latest update, and soon we will finish motor mount adapters, get the trans bolted up along with the rest of the drive-train, tackle intake plumbing, exhaust, wiring, etc., etc.... I would like to note that I would have been time and money ahead if I had tried a LS1 swap instead.
theres a fine line between good old fashioned fun and total lunacy... unfortunatly its buried beneath 30 feet of snow and we cant remember where it is...