HybridZ

RB20DET Transmission for L

rayaapp2

This may be quick and stupid.

I dont know to much about the RB20 transmission is the problem,

I have access to one though and I was looking at the bell housing. Almost all the holes look like they line up to the L series block. It is obvious that one bolt hole on the left hand side of the trans that will not work. For reference on the right side is where the starter goes. Even the starter looks like it would work though Im not sure it would align to the L series flywheel teeth. I dont have a free L series block to mount it on. I only have 1 block and its buried in a car that has a front clip on top of it from another car.

So what Im saying is that I noticed some similarities and one obvious difference. The RB20 transmission is becoming very easy to get over here in California. I have also noted that the RB20 transmission is extremely similar to the KA24 5spd, or at least the outer casing. I would venture a guess that its the same transmission with slight variations in the the gearing ratios and bell housing. They have the same Main Shaft size and spline as the old L series. Maybe someone has a spare block and access to the RB20 transmission to find out? I know that there were people using the KA24 5spd on their L series. Maybe this is another option.

Thought I would share some speculation with the L series forum

I would venture a guess that its the same transmission with slight variations in the the gearing ratios and bell housing.

You hit it on the head. All you would need to do is swap the bell for one from an L and it would be no harder than a KA tranny swap. Check out some of the threads regarding this.

Good luck!

With an L series bellhousing on an RB box it's actually the same length as an L series box so you don't have to change driveshafts. You need to modify the mount though. I'm using a RB20DET box with L series bellhousing on my L28 turbo, factory S130 driveshaft.

Yes, swapping the front tunnel housing form an RB Tranny for an L-Series tranny, same as the KA swap.

The earlier trannies did not have the larger bearing or shift rods. I'm talking 84 models. Seems to me those still had the earlier shifter linkage like the L Boxes. Later units had the better linkages like the KA Trannies.