HybridZ

Oil filter stud removal

Guest ttoude

Guest ttoude

My 81 L28et came WITHOUT a oil filter stud on the block.

Any ideas on removing the stud from the old block?

Tried looking for two nuts to lock together and back the stud out but no luck on nuts that large from home depot.

:::::::::Note: local Nissan ordered one for $9 and will be here in a week or two. But don't wanna wait that long for a possible wrong part:::::::::::::

You can try this....

Get a small angle grinder with a very thin cutting blade on it. Cut two small notches (a couple of mm's will be deep enough) on the end ( think of a Holley fuel jet) and bridge it with a wide piece of flat bar or a cold chisel. Turn anticlockwise carefully and presto! :)

2 minutes and you're done.

Isn't that where the sandwich adapter for the oil cooler goes? I was looking at the same thing on my car, and I figured "I have all the parts, and the oil cooler is just sitting there looking at me, may as well use it."

I bet you could score an oil cooler setup in a junkyard or in the wanted section, easy.

Okay, so...

I take it the engine with no stud look(ed) like this:

http://ss.vix.com/~corey/280ZX%20Turbo%20Engine%20Teardown/Disassembly/8.%20That%20was%20quick.JPG

I'm pretty sure every automatic ZXT came with one of these sandwich adapters, and consequently an oil cooler and lines. Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to just get the sammich and oil cooler?

Sort of like:

http://ss.vix.com/~corey/280ZX%20Turbo%20Engine%20Teardown/Disassembly/7.%20Your%20turn.JPG

Om nom nom?

Guest ttoude

ok, so ......

Nothing really, I was just trying to be delicate with the thing and i got sick of looking for stuff and hittin dead ends cause of the holidays. So..... I got mideveil and yanked that sucker outta there old school style.

Yes I saw the oil cooler, very nice but the budget is already blown so it has to wait,

So you know in the future, buy two nuts: one regular nut and one "jam" nut. Thread pitch is 3/4" x 16. Here in Dallas I went to a local Ace Hardware and they had the regular and jam nuts in stock for this particular size. This way you can remove and install the stud without risking damaging the threads.

I was actually thinking about this thread last night, since I was removing my exhaust manifold studs. The trick I was using there required one 17mm nut, one lockwasher (smaller than the 17mm nut) and one 14mm nut. I tightened the nuts together with the lockwasher in between, and then, since the 14 was on top, it's dead easy to get the 17mm socket on an air wrench right over the 14 to grab the 17 and blast it out of there.

And hey, if it works on a 30 year old rust-welded exhaust manifold...