HybridZ

throttle linkage problem

Big Jon

Has anyone here had any problems with their throttle linkage not allowing wide-open throttle on a 4 barrel carb conversion? I have an L26 with the Arizona ZCAR four barrel conversion, and i cant seem to get the linkage to open the throttle "wide-open". It doesnt have enough travel and with the accelerator to the floor, it only allows for about 75-80 percent throttle. I didnt install the conversion, it was on the car already, so im not sure if the proper brackets were installed, or if i need to modify the existing firewall mounted stock accelerator lever.

I assume you are using cable linkage as recommended by Dave. I had this exact problem when I did my conversion as well, the stock pedal doesnt have enough travel. I used a spacer to space out the accelerator pedal so it has more travel before bottoming out. As long as you dont make the spacer too thick it shouldnt drastically change your pedal layout. In fact, if you look closely on their on the installation instructions page (http://www.arizonazcar.com/cableinstall.html) it looks like AZC had the same issue during their install but did not mention the problem. It looks like they used a similar spacer to correct this issue as well.

mini-pedal.jpg

The other option you have is changing where the throttle cable is mounted to linkage on the carb. If you mount the little pivot lower on the linkage arm pressing accelerator pedal would open the carb more and should allow 100% throttle position.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

Sorry for the crappy picture, my camera isn't working right. Anyways you can see from the picture enough how the previous owner of the intake made there own linkage. It works very well and it opens the throttle all the way, He attached the adjustable links into the manifold by drilling and tapping the holes then using a bolt on the outside to tighten them down a bit. Otherwise he modified stock parts to work on the linkage, As soon as I can I will try and take a better picture of the set up.

post-4699-12708308999518_thumb.jpg

Mine doesnt look anything like that. I have a feeling i have a little fabbing to do, one way or another. I can either do what arizona z car shows, or i can notch the mount the stock firewall-mounted lever is attached to. That way the gas pedal just has a little more travel. All i need on the Holley side is about 3/8" of more cable travel for wide open throttle. But as you can see, its a bit janky right now.

By the way, do i have the linkage mounted to the correct hole on the throttle on the carb? Once again, kinda how it was when i got it, but if i should move it let me know.

post-7810-12708724448431_thumb.jpg

post-7810-1270872496699_thumb.jpg

post-7810-12708725421114_thumb.jpg

Mine doesnt look anything like that. I have a feeling i have a little fabbing to do, one way or another. I can either do what arizona z car shows, or i can notch the mount the stock firewall-mounted lever is attached to. That way the gas pedal just has a little more travel. All i need on the Holley side is about 3/8" of more cable travel for wide open throttle. But as you can see, its a bit janky right now.

By the way, do i have the linkage mounted to the correct hole on the throttle on the carb? Once again, kinda how it was when i got it, but if i should move it let me know.

I could be wrong but with your setup, if you try mounting the linkage to a lower hole on the throttle lever the medal should give you more opening. I dont think it matters what hole you use really...

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, Substitute AZZC cable linkage for a genuine Lokar cable linkage and follow AZZC directions on their website from the gas pedal mod to the carb. I works! I even used it to make My 90 degree rotated holley work on my turbo tom kit.

Guys, Substitute AZZC cable linkage for a genuine Lokar cable linkage and follow AZZC directions on their website from the gas pedal mod to the carb. I works! I even used it to make My 90 degree rotated holley work on my turbo tom kit.