HybridZ

Pulling a small trailer with a V-8 Z?

Ok who posted the pictures of a Z towing a track Z on a 2 wheel dolly?

I think a 280 is much better suited than a 240 due to the extra bumper stuff. My 280 had a ball mounted directly to the bumper. The PO used to tow a laser sailboat. No more than 500 lbs including the trailer I suppose. He just wired/tacked on the trailer lights to the rear lights. Shouldn't be too much of a strain? 2 more small lights?

I used to tow my 280 with a towbar using my 4cyl Saab 900s. 1hr plus drives I'm sure it wasn't rated to pull 3000lbs, so I just took it reaalllll easy.

Have fun camping!

I've got to say I'm quite surprised one would bother with a diff cooler for a sub 1000 pound trailer or strengthening the back. The stock 260z factory towbars are more than capable of pulling that sort of weight, as are its mounting points in supporting that weight and until I pulled my zed down I had done a fair amount of towing with it, with no adverse problems in Australian summers. Anything to much heavier around the 1500-1600 (750kg) mark I'd be worried about stressing the mounting points and braking effectiveness.

Toodling down through Eraring and Wagga Wagga to a weekend holiday at East Morissett is a damsite different than taking a Z across America or driving the desert southwest of the USA. Our speed limits are, well, Australia has ridiculously slow limits... Lets say you decided to take a time machine and tow 'cross the Northern Territory at a minmium sustained speed of 135kph.... In FEBRUARY!

Think that dinky little R180 would be up to it?

I can tell you right now, towing an 800# trailer (if that, probably closer to 500#, but conservative is as conservative does...) at a constant steady speed of 120kph on flat level ground in 40C weather resulted in differential temperatures hot enough to MELT THE STOCK PLASTIC BREATHER OFF THE TOP OF DIFFERENTIAL.

This was a stock 75 260Z Spec 2+2 with a 3.90 differential and early five speed. These temperatures did not change nor subside. This occurred within 2 hours of constant steady-speed driving. That trip ended up consisting of 18,000 miles in roughly a three week period at speeds rarely below 120kph. Many days it was fill the tank, drive at 135 till empty, take a 20 minute break to fill the tank, and back on the road. Repeat until tired, usually 16 to 18 hours daily.

If you tow with a Z, in the USA at highway speeds for more than 2 hours your differential will get to be over 300F!.

Synthetic oil is mandatory IMO, as well as considering a cooling mechanisim. While the synthetic may hold up to these temperatures, it isn't good practice to let oil runaway like that! Viscosity breakdown, foaming, volatile offgassing... why risk it?

Many people get lucky. If you want proper engineering to be done, consider the facts of the situation. I tempgun shot my differential as it felt like I was sticking my hand in an oven to retreive that melted off vent cap (sitting in the rear cross link)... They get hot. It's what took them out of competition at LeMans. Even WITHOUT trailers, the eurospec turbo cars got a differential cooler when speeds are expected to be above 120kph for extended periods.

You want to argue my engineering philosophy, that's fine. I know what my trip showed me. But consider the existence of Differential Coolers STOCK on an S130. Nissan put them there for a reason. Consider the fact that a longevity improvement was engineered into the later vehicles which may not have been production worthy in the earlier S30 series.

But also consider that when in competition, mandatory prep in the JDM was to fit a cooler to the R180---so much importance was put on this, Nissan put it in the competition prep manual with diagrams and where to tap the housings on the R180 for the pickup, return spray nozzles, and venting.

Towing in the USA is not a leisurely stroll in the park. Especially in the desert Southwest. It's a bit toastier here than in Newcastle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...