HybridZ
Guest Anonymous

NEED help hauling aZZZZZZZZ

Guest Anonymous   
Guest Anonymous

I found a nice rustfree '73 240z in south east idaho and got a great deal on it (Thanks ShaneMorton cheers.gif ).. I live in SW washington, and its about 700 miles each way. Shane has been trying to get the 240 to run well enough to survive the drive home (about 2 months ago it didn't even run).. but due to his own physical limitations (back surgery) it is still quite shady on whether it would survive the drive home- even if I babied it. The main problems are the carb running rich (doesn't have a float adj.), fuel filter, needs brakes bled, and a few other minor things. No problem, thought I, as I could rent a truck/trailor near Pocatello or somewhere in idaho along the way and then drop it off locally (1-way rental from idaho). Turns out from uhaul it would cost like $555 for the 700 miles and alotted 4 days. I was planning on leaving tomorrow,renting the truck sunday and returning it sunday night.. but I can't find anywhere (budget,ryder,penske,uhaul,etc) that will do a one day, with hitch/dolly to tow it for under $300. That incredibly too much.. all I'm wanting to do is basically rent a truck to haul a car for half a day (700 miles= 11-14 hrs drive), and most places won't refund less than 4 days rental for that great of a distance. I wanted to just rent a truck with a hitch, locally, then we wouldn't have to drive two cars back, but nowhere will rent them out w/ a hitch, due to liability I think. I already got tomorrow/sunday off, I'd like to do this this weekend since Shand and I have been planning around this date.. If any hybridz members can help me out w/ some ideas that would be most appreciated. So far the cheapest I've got is $330 for unlimited miles for 15' truck/dolley, but then I'd have to pay for 1400 miles (there/back) of gas with a huge guzzler, might as well add another $150 to that. I need help asap, thanks

cry2.gifcry2.gif I want my new Z!

-980mak rockon.gif

z2go    9

I am having the exact same issue. I wish I could find a place that just rents the trailer hitch. Then id rent from avis etc then put hitch on then uhaul trailer....but I cant find any hitchs!

If you are talking about just the ball, you can buy one for around $20 at Walmart.

Tony D    143

My renting of a U-Haul Auto Transport in San Jose got me for three days at $158, when I could have rented it locally and towed it with my truck up and back in one day (At a cost of $58!)

I thought running without the trailer would save time (it does, 80 instead of 65...) one-way.

Remember renting trucks usually entails a 0.58 cents per mile charge.

What car do you normally drive? Is it larger than a "Z"? Why not put a bumper hitch on it, and simply use a Tow Bar to flat-tow the Z back home?

I mean, what is your plan, to FLY out there, rent and tow back? If you're flying, just bring a set of tools, spend the time to get the car running, and take it easy on the way back. 300 miles a day is not a big push at any speed, and the closer you get to home, the easier it becomes to get a local rental to come get it if necessary.

"Have tools, will travel!"