HybridZ

MML q45 halfshaft lengths

nazar

I finally pulled apart my rear drivetrain to fix the no go problem, and i am about to put it back together but wanted to double check that im putting the right length halfshaft in

my passenger is already in so i cant measure it

damn now lookin closer the other cv housing, the cage pulled out where the big C clip holds the cage into the housing, and stripped the housing eddge off pulling the c clip out with it, so i cant reinstall the c clip back in, there is no ledge

The halfshaft and cage and all walked right out through my outer driver side CV housing, while pulling the cage through the inner cv and destroying the CV

How and why does this happen??

are you sure they are the same lengths for the q45 swap?

What happened to my drivers side was the halfshaft somehow punched a hole through the outside cv housing cap on the wheel side, how is that possible? Other then it being too long or maybe it was all because i put the cage in backwards?? Can that be it?

I just dont understand

how come speedway shafts are different lengths and mml shafts are the same length

i think this may have played a roll in my problem, cause how else would this happen? How does a halfshaft punch a hole in 1 cv housing causing the other side to pull the cage out ripping the c clip with it and stripping the ledge on the cv housing? It just completed grenaded on itself and thats what caused my NO GO problem with the grinding noises in the back and getting stuck on the freewway

I'm the guy that worked this swap out. My shafts are 12 inches long on each side.

Your axel walked out thur the CV end cap and yes it will pull the c clip out and waste the cv housing.

To fix this, I make 316 inch thick end caps(friend with a lathe) I have these on all 4 CV's. Since this up grade I have ran track events for several years without any further problem. I thought Ross was supplying these caps with his CV adaptors. I may be wrong.

EDIT>>> Ross and I have been in contact. I had an issue pop up at the track that I solved by running the inner stops. This was after our our original conversations on what stops to use. At the time I was just running outer stops. All confirmed by emails. I apparently did not let Ross in on this most important development. (sorry Ross) Sorry for any confusion this may have caused anyone.

Get another CV joint and make or have these end caps made.

I think a better solution for this swap would be to take the stock Q45 outer CV and cut the stub axel and weld an adaptor to the stock CV to mate it with the Z car stub aqxel flange.

I think Miles on this board did this with his setup. A very elegant solution for this swap. I would have reworked mine like this if I had continued to have problems.

Good luck, make some end caps and you will be good to go.

what will the end caps do? Are you saying they are stronger? They still pop in and out, so are you welding them to the cv??? Im not understanding, sorry, can you explain more?

And the question is, why are they walking like this? Is everyone having problems with this q45 swap ? This is the first time i read about this problem, and i know tons of people on here have the q45 swap rear end

also is the problem just the halfshaft walking out? Or is it being forced out because it has no more room to travel under compression where the halfshaft is at its closest points to the outsides of both cv's?

Meaning does it just bottom out and push out or is it just walking(with room to move though)

If it still has room, a stop would work, but if its being forced out because it has no where left to move, then there is a bigger problem, and the halfshaft needs to be shorter

Stil, why is the moser halfshafts equal length, and speedway halfshafts different lengths?

The end caps either replace the stock end caps or fit inside the stock end caps. THere is a lip on the CV adaptor and the diff flange. This lip will hold the end cap inplace when the cv's are bolted in.

I've had mine pop out when driving around town at a very respectable pace and I've had the pop out a couple of times at the track. I'm not smart enough to figure out the forces that cause this movement but 316 inch steel is enough to stop it.

To get an idea of what the piece looks like, imagine the inside if the end cap filled with steel. THat's it. I had pics but the computer took a dump an I lost most of my pics. I'll take more next time the car is apart.

so then all that will happen is the halfhaft and cage will just bottom out on this cap and not be able to go through?

My worry isnt that its simply walking out, but that is has now here to go because its bottomed out, or is there still plenty of room to move? Do you know what i mean? Like at a certain control arm angle where it brings both cv housings closest together, is the halfshaft just too long and it crashed them together, forcing the halfshaft to push through? At this point, even if the endcap is strong enough, it would cause either a bind in the suspension travel, a broken or bent halfshaft, or other bad things

check this thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93006

With my springs out of the car, I could move my suspension from fully extended to fully compressed and the 12 inch shaft did not bind. Only thing I can figure is that when the shaft is pointed up (compressed suuspension) or pointed down (extended suspension) that the rotational forces of the cv shaft induce some lateral forces that move the shaft. Just a guess based on when mine would let go.

hmmm...i guess ill order some cv stops from ross for the outside, hopefully it wont poke a whole through the inside cv

so did we figure out that the moser halfshafts are ok length? I think someone took the spring out and moved the control arm through its full range and said that the halfshaft still had room to move around, so its not being FORCED out?

Which halfshaft was this test performed on? I am weary of the moser halfshafts from ross being the same length, when the diff isnt centered...seems like they should be slightly different lengths

Ross used my adaptors as a pattern and I gave him my measurements for the half shaft length. 12 inches each side. Moser also made my halfshafts. Get a cap for the inner and the outer. I've had the shafts move to the inside also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...