Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'agi'.
Found 2 results
So this project actually started a while ago. I have been working slowly on my own project while working on customer cars on the side. It was one of those facebook post by some kid on behalf of the original owner who was now 87 years old. This one and only owner pre ordered it in december of 1969 and he recieved it 4/70. The maintenance records and documentation that came along with it are amazing. I have always had a passion for the S30 and this was finally my S1 I have been after. It was painted mercedes off white late in the 80s and thats the way the owner wanted it so that is the way he made it. Originally from California it traveled over to the east coast and sat inside a warehouse since 2003. (good thing too becuase I have worked enough cars over on the east coast to see what the salt does to them.) Anyhow the car was listed on FB for a few months and I had glanced over it a few times. It was a few months after I saw it that I decided to contact the seller. I asked if there was any documentation and low and behold I was presented with stacks of paperwork and service history. The ad did say it had an L28 now and this was why myself and I assume others passed it up. Turns out the original engine blew in 1990 and the owner got it serviced (like he always did) at Nissan. They had no more L24 engines so the installed a brand new NOS L28 Long block. It is all documented on the reciepts and work from the repair facility. At that moment I knew this was the car for me. I immediately worked out the viewing and hurried to pick it up with my trailer. It was better than I had expected and the documents made it that much better. It had to sit for some time after I got it home, but shortly I started work making it better. I will post in chronological order the progression of work through pictures. Enjoy...
MODS: I apologize, should this be moved to Member Projects? Unoriginal, I know. Blasphemous, for sure; wouldn't have it any other way. I just wanted to pop in with the standard "Long time lurker" introduction. I've been trying to restore a Z for the past year and half, which has ballooned way over my head in what surprises a 40+ year old Datsun has in store for an unsuspecting hobbyist. It started off with buying a running, seemingly decent condition 280z which was to be a joint project for my girlfriend and me. We were going to do right by the car, keep it simple and just restore it. As we started to peel back the layers, that all started to change. Feb-April 2019 The car ran! Only had two owners, came with a lot of documentation and detailed sheet of when/what was done with all corroborating receipts. The guy literally tracked running hours on engine rebuild. It did start puffing a bit and he was forthcoming and stated it needed a head gasket. We start cracking away and the next set of photos you're all familiar with.... We got a quote on rebuilding the head and it came out to over $1000 since the components are hard to come by or custom. Looking at engine options through Datsun Spirit, who are local, just destroyed so much of the budget. Especially now that we had to battle the unseen cancer... We just started to tear everything apart. Sadness ensued. The best part of the car