Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'apexengineered'.
Found 2 results
MODS: I apologize, should this be moved to Member Projects? Unoriginal, I know. Blasphemous, for sure; wouldn't have it any other way. I just wanted to pop in with the standard "Long time lurker" introduction. I've been trying to restore a Z for the past year and half, which has ballooned way over my head in what surprises a 40+ year old Datsun has in store for an unsuspecting hobbyist. It started off with buying a running, seemingly decent condition 280z which was to be a joint project for my girlfriend and me. We were going to do right by the car, keep it simple and just restore it. As we started to peel back the layers, that all started to change. Feb-April 2019 The car ran! Only had two owners, came with a lot of documentation and detailed sheet of when/what was done with all corroborating receipts. The guy literally tracked running hours on engine rebuild. It did start puffing a bit and he was forthcoming and stated it needed a head gasket. We start cracking away and the next set of photos you're all familiar with.... We got a quote on rebuilding the head and it came out to over $1000 since the components are hard to come by or custom. Looking at engine options through Datsun Spirit, who are local, just destroyed so much of the budget. Especially now that we had to battle the unseen cancer... We just started to tear everything apart. Sadness ensued. The best part of the car
First, let me say that I'm posting this as an absolute last resort. I know a small business is hard to run, especially these days, so I have tried to be patient over the last 6 months. Unfortunately, Apex Engineered has forced my hand. After 125+ emails and 6 months of effort, I am left without a complete order. Here's my story. I hope it's helpful for those considering working with Apex Engineered. I'll update if Apex Engineered responds. The Good: I have the front and rear suspension and they look great. The install was surprisingly easy--the suspension fit without the need for any modification or "persuasion." The Bad: Missing axle shafts, mistakes, and terrible customer service. Missing Axles: In January I received everything except the axle shafts. Since then, the story from Apex has been... Feb, backordered...available in 2-3 weeks March, they have the passenger but not the drivers... April, just need some finishing touches... May, axles are not up to their standards so they are looking for alternatives June, back at heat treatment... (?) July, due back in 1.5 weeks August 21, Apex says the manufacturer shipped them and he will either redirect the shipment or send them when they are received September 9 (and 4 emails later), still no axle shafts and no word from Apex Mistakes: Here are the two most frustrating. The others were just annoying (like chipped powder coat). The LS motor mounts interfered with the stock LS3 alternator location (and the low-mounted AC compressor). Apex redesigned but delayed me about a month. The rear knuckle was welded too closely to the strut so I wasn't able to fit all the bolts onto the hub/bearing mount.Something that should have been caught in fabrication. Terrible Customer Service: Dealing with Apex / Ohm is an absolute nightmare. Slow and vague responses. Contradictory stories. Frequent excuses. No way to contact via phone. Bottom Line: I'm actually happy with the suspension and don't fault Apex for the design issues along the way. I knew it was a new design when I placed my order. However, Apex is easily the most frustrating vendor I've worked with (and I spent 6 months trying to get Retro-spec to send me my parts). My build has been delayed at several key points and I spend way too much time/effort fighting to get Apex's attention.