HybridZ

msa twice pipes

cakebreak

• 4 weeks later...

So pretty much anyone with a FCC amateur radio operator's license would be fine...I can transmit up to 1500W peak envelope power in several microwave bands with my license...including the S and X bands.

Re: twice pipes, I'm thinking you want to run them separate off of the header collectors, all of the way back. However, you want to lightly paint the pipes as they run under the car before you run it, and then look for hot spots because that's where you want to install a crossover/equalizer pipe across your dual system. Look at Vizard's exhaust book.

but that wasn't the point of my post...

OK, there is another way to approach twice pipes and that is of making Italian motor music.

At the expense of a small percentage of horsepower lies a huge fun-factor component of sport motoring, blah blah blah...

My Alfa GTV Euro (high performance 2L dohc, Dual Webers) that was my dd in Napoli for a couple of years there was music to my ears (as well as to all those other folks within earshot). My car could sing and all of the various resonator placements were no accident in making those notes.

Maserati has used exhaust designs that route one of the "twice pipes" out and about underneath the car while the other pipe makes a straight shot for the rear of the car. The acoustic lengths are chosen according to what pitch/resonance duet makes the best notes. In that system, the two pipes did share a short collector, which merged off of the two turbos, before they went their separate paths.

I haven't even looked at any of my Z cars to see if such a pipe routement would be practical or even possible, but that technique does even work with a single turbo outlet which then splits into two. You are tuning by combining exhaust sound waves to yield a particular sound, and there's no engine tuning aspect or benefit derived from this. The Maserati pipes I refered to do not reconverge into a common muffler or any sort of a crossover/balance plumbing, they are separate all of the way back as unequal routes.

Edited by DAW

No, I don't know the formula. I do have a spare Maserati exhaust system in storage and I will try to get some measurements off of that one. Might be able to work backwards into a formula. This system definitely sounds great as-is.