HybridZ

msa twice pipes

cakebreak

Get the 3-2-1 headers for sure. I've had both the twice pipes with and without headers and the headers make a huge difference.

Here are some of my vids. You can't really tell how loud it is but you get an idea of the sound. And they're louder for carbed Z's. Mine is EFI.

Youtube

I have seen your videos many times, and by the way that is a gorgeous z car! They were actually the deciding point in getting the twice pipes. Is all this stuff i hear about losing power with them true?

Thanks! Definitely a work in progress :lol: I'm glad the vids helped.

I'm not sure on the power issue...if you do some reading on the "correct" exhaust size for your particular motor (I'm guessing mostly stock?) then it is a little too big. Even though the pipes are small the exhaust is as large as a 3"

So yes, you might lose some low-end torque but if you ever build the motor up the exhaust won't be the limiting factor :P

Yeah i was planning on doing the headers... twice pipes... a decent but not ridiculous cam and then hopefully some Mikuni 40 phh carbs and DD it until i save up enough money for a 2jzgte swap. What would recommend for installation getting it professionally done and spending the extra money or doing it your self if you can weld and dealing with the headaches ive heard about fitment?

Yeah i was planning on doing the headers... twice pipes... a decent but not ridiculous cam and then hopefully some Mikuni 40 phh carbs and DD it until i save up enough money for a 2jzgte swap. What would recommend for installation getting it professionally done and spending the extra money or doing it your self if you can weld and dealing with the headaches ive heard about fitment?

I had a buddy install mine and it was a PITA. He had to hack it up to make it fit. I paid him $100...if you have the skills do it yourself...it most likely won't fit <_<

I had basically no problems installing mine with the clamps that were supplied in the kit and if you need to do a little cutting it is very easy. I'd say with minor mechanical skills this is an easy project...especially when installing to fit with headers, my fitment was near perfect.

Back when I did mine in highschool I hacked up the rollpan where the tips exit to raise the tips up a bit (bad idea in retrospect). I could have avoided this by taking 10 minutes to make a longer bracket for the glasspacks to hang from, but hey I was 17 and had my mind set on the "easy" way.

Long story short...in my opinion this is a "fairly" easy install, no welding required if you wanna use the clamps...but of course welding would ultimately be a cleaner look and you wouldn't have to worry about the clamps letting loose ever.

On the 105 dB, what was the measuring criteria? Was it the CHP test (the one they do when they pull you over in California for 'excessive noise'?)

HOW you measure the noise is very subjective. Is there a link to the original test you did so I can read on the process you used?

On the 105 dB, what was the measuring criteria? Was it the CHP test (the one they do when they pull you over in California for 'excessive noise'?)

HOW you measure the noise is very subjective. Is there a link to the original test you did so I can read on the process you used?

Hey Tony,

We measured it between 5-7 feet back at a 45* angle with the reader on the ground. I think it's similar to how the CHP tests the "excessive noise" at least from a quick Google search.

And that's a negative on the link.

Edited by datsun723

The CHP Criteria is listed in the CVC, which is online if you're interested in how they do it. You're in CA, so if you want to know what your setup will test at if called upon for a CHP roadside check, you can duplicate it pretty easily.

dB Limits in CA Link

The '50 Foot from Centerline' Rule

My Favorite Section (e)!

• Like 1