HybridZ

Ideas of a good 2nd car/dd

jonzzer

It's sad that these cars from the 80's could easily get over 50mpg but present day it's somehow a mystery. Even the pricey hybrids get 50 at best, Especially when they are completely capable of more but have some excuse as to why those aren't on the domestic market.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/top-ten-epa-rated-fuel-sippers-1984-to-present/#3068345

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/topten.jsp

I think I heard that the reason those older cars got better gas mileage was because of less strict emissions laws. Now cars have to put out lower emissions run catalytic converters and cars such as LEV's and ULEV's car companies have to strain to get low emissions while still getting decent mileage and power. But this may not be true and I could be wrong I'm sure someone else could comment.

Another idea is that those cars that got such great gas mileage where also a lot smaller then the newer ones, with a lot more safety laws the newer cars are heavier as opposed to a Geo Metro. People like big luxurous cars but complain when they don't get good gas mileage. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

Sometimes you have no choice, the government mandates this crap, and you have to buy it whether you want it or not.

I would be perfectly happy with a 2003 Air-Cooled Beetle, can't have one. But I can put the pan from one under a 1976 VW Beetle and drive it...

Stoopid!

I bought an '80 Porsche 924 for about $800, and its a blast to drive, and pretty good on gas.

all the VW stuff has me looking for pics of the Transporter I built in the early '70s. It was the fastest VW I ever owned, probably because I had gotten a good deal on a 180 hp Corvair Corsa. ;)

Oh yeah, the old Trans-Vair conversion!

Yore Bus Sounds Funny, that a Porch Engyne?

Any of the Corvair engines were a nice boost in power. The 140's were really nice and easily maintained.

But if you could get a hybrid 150 turbine and 180 impeller, coupled with a Holley on that 180...

21 psi was a REAL kick in the pants (whether in a 2315# Early Bus, or a slightly heavier Corvair Corsa!!!)

Girls dug the bus more anyway... :D

Edited by Tony D

I think I heard that the reason those older cars got better gas mileage was because of less strict emissions laws. Now cars have to put out lower emissions run catalytic converters and cars such as LEV's and ULEV's car companies have to strain to get low emissions while still getting decent mileage and power. But this may not be true and I could be wrong I'm sure someone else could comment.

Another idea is that those cars that got such great gas mileage where also a lot smaller then the newer ones, with a lot more safety laws the newer cars are heavier as opposed to a Geo Metro. People like big luxurous cars but complain when they don't get good gas mileage. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

Those are definitely important factors. While the technology is getting more advanced, so is the demand for luxury and safety. The new prius is almost double the curb weight of a metro, and is packed with luxury options, which are the opposite of the things you should expect from an economy car. Most people don't want an economy car badly enough I guess, and now days it seems that economy means it will get decent mileage, but not be low in price. Back then they were one in the same, because the reason they got such good mileage is because the manufacturer skimped on everything. The LSi metro was economy enough, but they took it a step further with the XFI and got results. In fact you couldn't even get a/c in an XFi. Now what car on the market today is even available without that?

I feel like there is still a market for true economy cars, partly because there are so few of them out there and partly because we all know that gas is like real estate and it's only going to get worse. Fiscally, it doesn't make sense to pay so much more for a car that gets say 15 mpg better than the alternative when it's going to take 20 years for your investment to pay off in the savings at the pump. That's why the best idea for a money saver car is one that has the highest mpg/value ratio like if one car got a little bit higher mileage but cost way less or another cost more but never needed maintenance, you get the idea. So when my parents were in the market for a new car, they got an echo. It was one of the cheapest on the market, got 35+ mpg, and they haven't had to do an ounce of maintenance in the nine years they've owned it (over probably almost 150k miles). I'd say that car definitely paid for itself.

You could probably get a used car and do even better though, since new cars are marked up a lot more. That's why I figured geo metro because they're really cheap and get the best mileage. I'm sure there are enough of them out there that parts aren't too expensive either, but I don't know much about their maintenance appetite to begin with. For the price we're talking about though, you could buy three more as spares and still have less invested as the next cheapest brand new car, which is of course the smart car, but who wants to drive that thing?

http://20somethingfi...w-cars-of-2011/

Edit: looking at this list, it appears the yaris is the best value as far as new cars go. If you get a 2007, the mileage is actually better and you'll hit that devalue sweet spot.

Edited by getoffmyinternet

An upside to the Civic VX to the CRX HF is that it makes way more power when needed. It's got an interesting vtec arrangement. The lower rpm range is almost identical to the cam profile in the CRX HF, while the upper range RPM profile is a clone from the standard non-vtec D series. This means if you keep it out of vtec you get great mpg and piss-poor power. But if you rev the sucker up it'll still perform like a base model hatch. Not bad really.

But 2k doesn't buy you much when it comes to luxury and you certainly won't be buying anything relatively new that's worth owning. So if it were me I'd go for something that at least as some interesting merits. Since it sounds like you're not looking for 50+ mpg and would be happy with just "decent" gas mileage, there's tons of options you could look at.

Why not a 4 cylinder fox mustang? They're almost free, and you can throw a turbo on it with ease and make decent power and still get good mpg. Sounds like a 2k project to me.

280ZX turbos seem to go for around 2k quite often all around the country, and they're usually in better shape than the S30's we're all buying...

There's also the S12 200SX. These cars seem to be less valuable than Z cars even, regularly going for 1500 and under for perfectly running cars. Just not too many out there to be had, but interesting cars for sure.

Mark 2 supra/celicas are neat. I'm not big on them, but I'd rock it.

Mark 3 supras are a little more interesting in different ways, but a bit heavier and i'm not as big of a fan. They make me miss the celica connection keeping the chassis simple and to the point.

Just about any Japanese truck, or subaru brat. All good options really. Plus then you have a truck to throw things in.

510 2 door, 4 door, or wagon. Take your pick. All awesome in their own right.

Whatever you choose, mileage isn't just about the vehicle. It's about how it's setup and how it's driven. Sure a B16 powered honda will get 35mpg even when flogging the crap out of it. But the same car when setup right, with longer gears, hard tires, and driven nicely will yield mid 40's on the highway when kept under 70mph. So really it's just as much about the owner as it is the car. How the want the car to feel is everything. You can drive a medium displacement vehicle relatively fast everywhere and still get it's rated MPG, or you can drive a little tin can like a bat out of hell and get close to the same mpg.

Well, that's my list. And I think people can see were my influences tend to land. I still love me some RWD.

Around me $2K will get you a Chevy S10 of older vintage---either 4.3L V6 or 2.2L Four. if mileage is your thing, get the 2.2L 4 banger it gets incrementally better mileage. But that 4.3L V6 will still get around 24mpg, and have a HELL of a lot more power if you want to tow something or really load up and bring all the furniture to the dorm in one shot.

Seriously, if you can find an extended cab it would be rewarding. Luxury wise I have seen some trucks into the early 2000's now near that price point, and if you get one all dented up and high mileage you can get one considerably newer!

AC that is cold, decent mileage, and something not many people will look to steal. Perfect! :D