HybridZ

Rear brake setup idea

My '76 280Z has been sitting for 14 years and is in need of a brake system overhaul so i figure, why not upgrade to a newer system? I am definitely going with the toyota 4 piston setup in the front, but i am unsure of what to do for the rear. I stumbled upon this setup that could possibly work. Look at the picture

CE-6035.jpg

this looks really close to the Z mounting setup for the Drum brake hardware. What do you guys think? I am going to take measurements because i have both examples at home. I am sure the backing plate will need to be drilled, but it would be totally worth it.

I am wondering why you would go to the trouble of finding a replacement setup and not go to disks? If you are keeping drums why not just replace the tired old parts, put in a rebuilt or new wheel cylinder and upgrade your pads, and keep aluminum drums or find some if you have the iron ones?

Yes it is ford, in fact it is from a ford explorer. I have that setup on my Ranger pickup and i was thinking of a possible cheap replacement for the Z. I would like to replace drums for discs mainly for aesthetic reasons but also they are easier to maintain. If this is works ill do a write up about it.

Oh yeah also I have an explorer axle on my ranger so I should be able to take some measurements and then figure it out. The main reason why I want this setup is because it works well for me and Explorers are more common than maximas, 280ZX, or 240SX. Not that I am saying that the aforementioned car's parts are inferior, it is just far to easy to find these parts because people usually dont look to explorers for parts, well at least compared to the nissans.

Hmm I have seen this same Drum parking brake and disk stopping brake used on a S30 from a newer 350z. This would definitely be a cool and cheaper option. Is the brake bracket attached to the backing plate or the hub of the explorer? Also is the bore of the center hole large enough? Also remember if you keep the Stock stub axle you will have to find a Disk that is the right offset and will work with the drum brake inside.

Definitely going to follow this and see where it goes.

Found some measurements of the Ford axles and some Disc conversions, I have a Maxima bracket I didn't use to do my brakes yet, I will post up info in a bit.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/rear_discbrake_conversions.html (bottom of the page)

I didn't measure the inside bore of the center hole because I have a flat maxima bracket and it isn't the right size. but here are the measurements they aren't perfect but they are close enough to get a guesstimate.

post-4699-082520200 1305759374_thumb.jpg

Edited by 19762802+2

Hmm I have seen this same Drum parking brake and disk stopping brake used on a S30 from a newer 350z. This would definitely be a cool and cheaper option. Is the brake bracket attached to the backing plate or the hub of the explorer? Also is the bore of the center hole large enough? Also remember if you keep the Stock stub axle you will have to find a Disk that is the right offset and etc.

Found some measurements of the Ford axles and some Disc conversions, I have a Maxima bracket I didn't use to do my brakes yet, I will post up info in a bit.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/rear_discbrake_conversions.html (bottom of the page)

I measured the axle diameter and the explorer axle is larger, but not by much. Later I will have to measure the bolt holes to see if they are similar.

I measured the axle diameter and the explorer axle is larger, but not by much. Later I will have to measure the bolt holes to see if they are similar.

I edited my post with approximate measurements for the Z bolt pattern for the bracket. According to the link I posted the EC-841/843 kit or axle has a pretty close bolt pattern.

Found a picture of the Disk dimensions, its the one on the left for a Ford explorer 8.8" axle with the drum brakes/Disk.

measurement%20of%20rotors.JPG

Edited by 19762802+2

Hmm I have seen this same Drum parking brake and disk stopping brake used on a S30 from a newer 350z. This would definitely be a cool and cheaper option. Is the brake bracket attached to the backing plate or the hub of the explorer? Also is the bore of the center hole large enough? Also remember if you keep the Stock stub axle you will have to find a Disk that is the right offset and will work with the drum brake inside.

I didn't measure the inside bore of the center hole because I have a flat maxima bracket and it isn't the right size. but here are the measurements they aren't perfect but they are close enough to get a guesstimate.

post-4699-082520200 1305759374_thumb.jpg

I attempted to check the bolt pattern on the explorer axle and I could not get an exact measurement but It looks close. Vertical holes Approx 2 1/4, Horizontal holes 3 3/4. Ill try to double check with some fellow ford guys on the Ford Ranger website.

Awesome news, A slight change to the mounting holes wouldn't be that bad. Hopefully there isn't any clearance issues with the backing plate.

Hopefully not, so far this is what i came up with. it looks a little bit off but i think it still can be worked with. My next concern is how to keep it 4 lug or convert the front and rear to the same 5 lug pattern.

post-3276-099638400 1305840728_thumb.gif

Edited by 4.6StangRage

Don't forget the Disk offset from the hub to mounting bracket as well. It might be possible to redrill the Ford disk and use spacers if needed if you want to keep the stock stub axle and bolt pattern.

Edited by 19762802+2