HybridZ

top mount turbo manifold

ovenfood

So I have looked around and the only place I could find information to answer my question was in a Honda forum. Having said that I still want to clear some things up.

Is there a real advantage of a top mounted turbo? The way I see it is there may be an improvement due to equal runner length, but I don't understand why it has to be high. Is there a reason why it's high and not low with equal runner length? I would assume low would be better due to a straighter dump pipe, and therefore a little less congestion straight after the turbo.

On a personal note I am going with the standard RB log manifold for cost effectiveness, I just want to know why people choose high mount other than to "bling" their engine bay.

Oh yes I totally forgot that the RB has its hot bits on the drivers side in the US, sorry. But in RHD cars or LHD with Toyota engines the space is reasonably decent.

Still I was curious if there is something special about having the turbo high other than spacial reasons. Is there something about the flow of the air going up instead of down an advantage?

Depends on the manifold. Some of the cheap-o ones are super high because they are easier to make. On quality ones it depends on the design of keeping the runners equal and clearing the steering shaft among other things.

As for the air flowing up, technically hot air rises but I'm sure that is negligible and has no bearing on the design. It mostly has to do with what I said above and an easier fitment of a large turbo.

Edited by jakeoster