HybridZ

240z 260z interchangeability of air conditioning evaporator

I've located a complete early 260Z and would like to salvage some parts off of it for use on my Series I s30.

My s30 has the bumper brackets off a 72 or 73. Solid steel brackets that mount to the "frame" rails and curve up to hold a thin bumper. The bumper end has two bolts and a steel tube about 2 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter between the bolts. Would the stock 260 bumpers bolt to this bracket?

Are the fenders interchangeable? They look as if they would work, along with the grill and valence.

This 260Z has an aftermarket a/c unit that looks from the engine compartment to be very similar if not the same as the dealer installed ARA units for the 240Z. The condenser fills the entire front end and is a tube/fin arrangement. Unlike the 280Z stock condenser, which has a flat tube into a header on each end; this one is more of a "commercial" refrigeration look with tubes that are exposed as they loop around 180 degrees to go back into the finned portion of the condenser.

The inlet and outlet of this condenser is on the passenger car side along with the compressor and dryer, entering into the cabin through two holes in the firewall just above the passenger side frame rail. The heater hoses enter into the firewall on the passenger side of the L6 and in exactly the same location as a 240Z.

The cabin is locked, so I can not get in underneath the dash to inspect the heater/ac evaporator..... so I really don't know if the heater/evaporator are mounted as in the 280Z.. The controls are not easily seen, but appear to be the 280Z style dash and console.

At this moment, I have a 208z condenser that bolts up perfectly to the 240z: but, the "in" and "out" connections are on opposite sides of the unit. This works well in the sense that the unit can be clocked allowing the two sides to be switched from driver's side to passenger's side. However, the best of all arrangements would be to have the compressor, dryer and all lines to run on the passenger car side and to use a refurbished dealer installed ARA or similar unit. If the a/c unit is the same as the dealer installed ARA type, then I'll pull it, clean it, paint it, and use it.

John's Cars a/c compressor is designed for 280Zs and is mounted on the driver's side. The price is right for his kit; but, I would prefer to keep everything on the passenger car side.

I have found a bracket that mounts a Sanden sd 7 compressor on the passenger side of an Gen III (LS1 and such) engine with an overhand of, perhaps 1 inch, beyond the valve covers. I am 99% certain this would work to fit a Sanden on the passenger side. Look here for a photo. At over $2k for the complete set up in billet, I won't be buying this anytime soon, but the bracket mount looks to be simple to clone.

I have seen this mount from eddie motor sports mounted on an LM7 in an '80s or so Vette. It is very narrow, the Sanden sd7 appears smaller than the 508 series.

I know that Vintage and others are out there, but I really would like to keep all my controls as stock appearing as possible.

Thanks for reading.

G

Edited by zgeezer

I've located a complete early 260Z and would like to salvage some parts off of it for use on my Series I s30.

My s30 has the bumper brackets off a 72 or 73. Solid steel brackets that mount to the "frame" rails and curve up to hold a thin bumper. The bumper end has two bolts and a steel tube about 2 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter between the bolts. Would the stock 260 bumpers bolt to this bracket? Those are 73 Brackets, the mounts on the 260 are flat with a four bolt flange for the shocks, and are mounted out a bit further. I don't think it's a direct bolt-on, but it may be modified.

Are the fenders interchangeable? Yes, though the 260 may have an inner fender of plastic to keep splash off the back of the light bucket---it all mounts to the unit body, though, and doesn't affect the fender. They pretty much bolt right on anything from 69-78 all the improvements were carried on the chassis.

The cabin is locked, so I can not get in underneath the dash to inspect the heater/ac evaporator..... so I really don't know if the heater/evaporator are mounted as in the 280Z.. The controls are not easily seen, but appear to be the 280Z style dash and console. Sounds like an ARA or Frigi-King and in that case is VERY similar to the 240Z. They will have MANUAL controls in the heater control head. If it was a port or dealer option added according to the FSM it would have the vacuum actuated controls same as a 280Z (or as an RHD Fairlady Z with A/C, but lets not go there!) If you can see the evaporator under the dash, the attachment is the same as aftermarket units for the 240.

At this moment, I have a 208z condenser that bolts up perfectly to the 240z: but, the "in" and "out" connections are on opposite sides of the unit. This works well in the sense that the unit can be clocked allowing the two sides to be switched from driver's side to passenger's side. However, the best of all arrangements would be to have the compressor, dryer and all lines to run on the passenger car side and to use a refurbished dealer installed ARA or similar unit. If the a/c unit is the same as the dealer installed ARA type, then I'll pull it, clean it, paint it, and use it. Pretty much, you have to shine a light into that passenger's footwell! If you have rubber hoses and the same ARA Style accumulator, chances are high it's a universal ARA and not the one that used the in-dash evaporator and vacuum operated controls.

John's Cars a/c compressor is designed for 280Zs and is mounted on the driver's side. The price is right for his kit; but, I would prefer to keep everything on the passenger car side. I have helped do at least one car where we put the compressor from a 280Z and used it to drive the system on an ARA unit---the hoses were no problem to have made, it's nice to not have it around the fuel pump...and that Sanden is head and shoulders more efficient than the popper York unit!

I have found a bracket that mounts a Sanden sd 7 compressor on the passenger side of an Gen III (LS1 and such) engine with an overhand of, perhaps 1 inch, beyond the valve covers. I am 99% certain this would work to fit a Sanden on the passenger side. Look here for a photo. At over $2k for the complete set up in billet, I won't be buying this anytime soon, but the bracket mount looks to be simple to clone. I really don't see any reason a spare York bracket couldn't be modified to accept a Sanden...they have multiple bolt patterns. There is a kit that put the York under the intake manifold, on the left side of the car. They were used a lot in Japan.

I know that Vintage and others are out there, but I really would like to keep all my controls as stock appearing as possible. Makes it period-correct at least! Make sure no leaks between FRP Evap Housing and the air door inlet on the uptake for the heater on the 240---that's where the leaks occur and shoot the efficiency all to hell! After making a 3/4" thick foam gasket for mine, I had no issue getting 37F Center-Register in my 260Z with an old ARA system recharged with 'conversion oil' and R134! I could maintain 70F interior temperature going across Iowa at 103F ambient, doing 110mph and watching the water temperature stay right there at 170F!!! They will work, you just have to make sure there are NO leaks around that evaporator to suck hot air back into the system when on A/C. Speaking of hot air, I will shut up now! :P

G

Thanks Tony for the information. I'm still looking for an a/c compressor mount high on passenger side of an ls1 or other GEN III engine. Anyone out there with a vendor or photo. What I need is something like JCI's A/C mount, but for the passenger side, not the driver's side.

G

Edited by zgeezer

• 2 weeks later...

I like "Left" and "Right" referring to mounting.

Probably because I have LHD and RHD cars, 'drivers side' to me means two things (which means nothing at all!)

:D

Hmm, is that like "ambidextrous" or an AC/DC plug?

The early 260z A/C evaporatorlooks identical to my old ARA a/c unit, but in much better shape. The condenser is different in that it is an add-on with all lines exiting on the right side of the engine. Howeve, the heater is different in that it does not seem to hook up to the outside fresh air vent my 240 shares with the windshield wiper motor. (not the two that take air from the front of the car, the one that is under the windshield. I'll know more next week when I remove the panel covering the windshield wiper motor and the dash. The ignition and combination switch appear to be in excellent shape and the steering column is the same diameter as my 240. (I read somewhere that 280 columns are wider). I took those out today and went looking for small a/c compressors.

I have a 5.3 truck engine and I would prefer mounting all a/c lines, compressor, dryer on the right side. So, I'm looking for very small compressor.

Geo/Metro used a number of small compressors in the '90's; one of which was the Sanden SD7. I pulled a Sanden SD7 out of a Geo/Metro and than found a 2000 Suzuki Esteem with a smaller compressor with mounting tabs appear the same as the Sanden SD7. The Esteem compressor is made by Seiko/Seiki, is designed for 134a and is model # SS10LV6. Pricy little bugger, but no wider and about 2 inches shorter than the Sanden SD7

The Sanden drive is 104 mm wide and I count 4 grooves. The Esteem is 114 mm wide and I count 5 grooves. Suzuki Side kicks used both Sanden and the "Esteem" version at different times. I think I could use a 5 groove belt to drive my 6 groove alternator.

Both these compressors have top mounted intake/discharge ports. Cast into the body. The Sanden has one other "port" or "pipe" on the back plate. I have no idea what it might be, but it is a typical vacuum hose nipple in shape and about 3/8 inch in diameter with a small plastic insert. It is not t an a/c "o" ringed line.

Tonight, I'll pull off my Kwick a/c bracket and see if the Esteem will bolt to it.

I would post photos of all this if I could ever figure out how to upload them to my Album or, for that matter, find my album after the last program change.

Any one out there that knows of any bracket to mount a small Sanden, really tight to the right side of an LsX, give me a call.

G

I like "Left" and "Right" referring to mounting.

Probably because I have LHD and RHD cars, 'drivers side' to me means two things (which means nothing at all!)

:D

Hmm, is that like "ambidextrous" or an AC/DC plug?

The early 260z A/C evaporatorlooks identical to my old ARA a/c unit, but in much better shape. The condenser is different in that it is an add-on with all lines exiting on the right side of the engine. Howeve, the heater is different in that it does not seem to hook up to the outside fresh air vent my 240 shares with the windshield wiper motor. (not the two that take air from the front of the car, the one that is under the windshield. I'll know more next week when I remove the panel covering the windshield wiper motor and the dash. The ignition and combination switch appear to be in excellent shape and the steering column is the same diameter as my 240. (I read somewhere that 280 columns are wider). I took those out today and went looking for small a/c compressors.

I have a 5.3 truck engine and I would prefer mounting all a/c lines, compressor, dryer on the right side. So, I'm looking for very small compressor.

Geo/Metro used a number of small compressors in the '90's; one of which was the Sanden SD7. I pulled a Sanden SD7 out of a Geo/Metro and than found a 2000 Suzuki Esteem with a smaller compressor with mounting tabs appear the same as the Sanden SD7. The Esteem compressor is made by Seiko/Seiki, is designed for 134a and is model # SS10LV6. Pricy little bugger, but no wider and about 2 inches shorter than the Sanden SD7

The Sanden drive is 104 mm wide and I count 4 grooves. The Esteem is 114 mm wide and I count 5 grooves. Suzuki Side kicks used both Sanden and the "Esteem" version at different times. I think I could use a 5 groove belt to drive my 6 groove alternator.

Both these compressors have top mounted intake/discharge ports. Cast into the body. The Sanden has one other "port" or "pipe" on the back plate. I have no idea what it might be, but it is a typical vacuum hose nipple in shape and about 3/8 inch in diameter with a small plastic insert. It is not t an a/c "o" ringed line.

Tonight, I'll pull off my Kwick a/c bracket and see if the Esteem will bolt to it.

I would post photos of all this if I could ever figure out how to upload them to my Album or, for that matter, find my album after the last program change.

Any one out there that knows of any bracket to mount a small Sanden, really tight to the right side of an LsX, give me a call.

G

Good info on the "Esteem" A/C pump! I didn't think they could get much smaller. That must be a cranking little rotary! File this for future reference.

Any chance it will mount where the Power Steering Pump went? Or check out accessory drives for different models using the LSx engine---maybe the drive configuration moves the alternator, and you can use the alternator mount from a different configuration in addition to a different belt to mount it there instead.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Good info on the "Esteem" A/C pump! I didn't think they could get much smaller. That must be a cranking little rotary! File this for future reference.

Any chance it will mount where the Power Steering Pump went? Or check out accessory drives for different models using the LSx engine---maybe the drive configuration moves the alternator, and you can use the alternator mount from a different configuration in addition to a different belt to mount it there instead.

Good Luck.

Neither the Esteem nor the Sanden will bolt directly to a bracket designed for the usual Sanden 508. Although manufactured by Sanden this one uses the Geo/Esteem bracket spacing. Much wider than the usual Sanden. I could not easily use the Kwick bracket to mount either of these two compressors.

However, having said that, I believe the Esteem's size would allow it to be easily mounted on the right side of an LSx engine. and clear the strut towers. More so if one is using the truck assembly which mounts all accessories .75 inch or so forward.

By the way, I was quoted $75.00 for the Esteem compressor, if I pulled it. It was still charged, so that would have been a good buy.

I have Kwick's "alternator only" mount for my truck. The deeper 135 Amp truck alternator would not clear the shock tower with this Kwick's mount. So, I've relocated the truck alternator to the Ls1 position down low on the left side. With a .75 inch AL spacer, it all clears the JCI motor mounts and the stock engine mounts. Now, I have Kwick's alternator mount to play with... maybe it can be adapted for use as a compressor mount.

On a different theme, let's talk Service Manuals for S30 240-z Sports. While researching my series I wiring and heater assembly I found this location for factory manuals: xenon.

They have the S30 supplement chassis manual for early 1971 series I cars. A great find.:D

G