HybridZ

Buying an unfinished project car

I've been wanting to pick up a 280z for a while now, and eventually swap in an l28et.

There's one not too far away on craigslist that actually already has an 81 l28et w/ ECM, and 5 speed in it, but

the wiring was never finished.

They are asking $500 which seems decent as long as the motor is good.

Is it just kind of a crap shoot as far as verifying the engine's condition, or is there anything I can look for?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

For a complete car, $500 is a good price provided it's not a complete rust bucket ... even then the motor, trans, and ECU are likely worth the $500. I know people who have paid more for a L28ET, trans, and ECU. Wiring is not a huge issue, you may decide to go with a standalone ECU like MegaSquirt. I agree, RUST is an issue, likewise with the car having been wrecked. Look for welding jobs and patches. You didn't mention the year. If it's a 75, then that gas tank will swap into a 240Z. You'll want an EFI tank for a turbo swap. Decent running turbo swaps (into 240, 260, and 280Zs) sell in the $4,000 to $5,000 range. That's for a decent, not showcar, job. Superior high-end examples sell for $15,000 to $50,000.

I'm going to guess you could part out the car for more than $500. Offer $400 and it's pretty hard to go wrong, even at $500 it's worth looking at. Just be prepared to haul it home and have cash in hand. Make sure it has a title, that can be a pain to deal with.

I agree with both 240zip and RB.. RUST should be your main concern. Also check for spots that may have been repaired after an accident. Even though IF you did buy the car and sold off the parts you would make money. But the Z is such a great car I would HATE for that to be your first experience. Good luck! and pictures if they're posted on CL. Maybe we can give better insight.

I bought a 1970 240z that was so rusted it literally buckling in the center, no floor boards, spare tire, or dog legs left. I paid 250 for the complete car, but what i gained was an all original l24 motor, a good set of su carbs, a crappy 4 speed, a hood and all the gauges. Sometimes a good parts car is worth buying for the parts and scrapping the car and still making money. I would buy it if I knew the motor was still decent/ rebuildable. I would offer 350 to 400 to start then see where I stand. all the parts and rearend out of the car is well worth the money if you wanna take the time and effort. Good luck on your build keep us posted. B)

• 1 month later...

I forgot about this thread! Thanks for all the replies, some very good info here. It however did end up selling the next day before I got a chance to look at it. I'm definitely making rust the main deciding factor on the project I choose. I'm not rushing into things, just keeping an eye on craigslist and waiting for the right deal

thanks