HybridZ

TEP Bolt-in Camber Plates

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Top-End Performance's bolt-in camber plates / top hats shown here:

NBS0002_1.JPG

There is a short description on their site shown here (third item from the top):

http://www.racetep.com/datsunsusp.html

I am looking to overhaul my suspension with coil-overs and thought this may be a viable option rather than cutting into the strut towers. They do say for "street" and "auto-cross" cars. Is there a specific reason they did not list "track"?

Edited by spitz17

I know of two cars that had the shock shaft snap right at the bottom of those top hats. Unless they've changed the design, the poly is too stiff and does not allow enough articulation at the upper mount of the strut. This causes flex and a fatigue failure at the thinnest point of the shock shaft. The stock rubber insulators have enough flex in the rubber to handle the articulation and real camber plates have a monoball.

Are talking about the strut top bearing?

Perhaps that is more of a bearing issue, as in the strut top is loading up the top of the strut tube during turning rather than the bearing taking the load. Those ones mentioned above are a good price but I'd like to know what people think of the contour camber plates (fourth one down).

Are talking about the strut top bearing?

No. As the shock/spring compresses the camber plate/insulator must articulate to accommodate the change in angle. Its this resistance to articulation caused by the poly camber plate that increases stress on the shock shaft.