HybridZ

83 L28ET harness into 24z

Hey guys im aware there are alot of write ups in regards to the L28ET swap; however, the schematics and the pictures of the ECU wiring harness order and where they should be connected to dont seem to be matching mine except for Plug #1... and even then the brown wire is BLACK on mine... donor cars info: 83 280zxt (manual)

I made a layout of the 3 plugs fromfrom the ecu harness that need to be adapted/wired up to the 72 240z i have. i also have the redcover 280zx haynes manual however the 1982 zxT EFI harness page (252) does not match my plugs or wire codes. on the haynes manual plug 3 only has 6 cable boxes available. But on my 82 harness there are 8 and more wires... sad to say there was no 83 harness page on the manual.. and being ignorant on the electrical aspect of the swap yet smart enough not to do things i dont know about without some consultation i figured id post it up and see if i could get some guidance. hope u guys can be of some help. Also it would be nice to know what wires i WONT be needing and the ones i will need WHERE in the 240z harness do i need to connect them and how.

82 wiring plugs from the haynes manal pg 252

0607111155.jpg

MY 83 280zxt harness plug layout

83ECUharnesslayout.jpg

Edited by superduner

these are the plugs that go into the ecu or the efi harness?

no they're not the black plugs that go into the actual ECU itself if thats what you're asking. theyre the white plugs coming from the EFI harness.

p.s on the plug #1 it is mentioned from the write ups that BOTH these wires need to go to 12V power wires. is this meaning a wire where theres ALWAYS power ? if so what kinda fuses do i need to put on these 12v yes. but amp wise?

Edited by superduner

GREAT!... another bump on the road.. so after further analyzing charts ive come across for the wiring and how the 82's 81's are kinda supposed to go. i notice that the harness on the driver side of the engine bay is missing the little T looking clip for the IGNITOR under the coil. i love taking pics cause pics say 1000 words. so as u can see... this is all that came from the ignition aspect of the harness when i removed it.... a black thickish wire that (seems)to be a ground. the clip for the AFM (MAF) and two white things with two wires each that i have no clue where they go or what they're for. but nowhere lies the T clip for the apparently since it is missing i now need to MAKE and or RUN some wires for it. anybody know how im supposed to run these two and to where?

0607111429.jpg

The wiring you're holding is:

- AFM plug

- AFM Ground wire

- The 2 two-wire plugs go to the VCM

The wire bundle to the coil and ignitor are completely seperate from the ECCS harness (EFI/ECU harness) on a stock 280zxt. There's a different harness that goes from the cockpit up through the left side fender to the 280zx coil location. Pull the wiring from a 280ZX donor or re-create the wiring - it's a simple bundle...

p.s on the plug #1 it is mentioned from the write ups that BOTH these wires need to go to 12V power wires. is this meaning a wire where theres ALWAYS power ? if so what kinda fuses do i need to put on these 12v yes. but amp wise?

You need to do some additional searching... In the FAQ's (and several other places) there's a diagram of how to wire up those 3 connectors.

Plug #1 IS 2 wires (one brown, one green), both connected to the +12V side of the battery THROUGH seperate Fusable Links.

A 280ZX is wired through several fusable links. I used my donor cars fusable link box and connected the circuits that applied to the swap. Unfortunately I don't think there are "AMP values" applied to the fusable links. Read the turbo swap guide, maybe someone has used fuses rather than fusable links...

You need to do some additional searching... In the FAQ's (and several other places) there's a diagram of how to wire up those 3 connectors.

Plug #1 IS 2 wires (one brown, one green), both connected to the +12V side of the battery THROUGH seperate Fusable Links.

A 280ZX is wired through several fusable links. I used my donor cars fusable link box and connected the circuits that applied to the swap. Unfortunately I don't think there are "AMP values" applied to the fusable links. Read the turbo swap guide, maybe someone has used fuses rather than fusable links...

i AM using that chart you are mentioning but as i mentioned on my post... it is NOT the same as an 83 harness...(must be for an 82) my wire coloring codes are different and not exactly in that order what-so-ever. I just want to prevent crossing wires im not supposed to, cause a short and fry something you know. it would be counterproductive. the plug 1 mentioned claims green and brown.. yet on mine plug 1 is green and 1 is BLACK. look at the pictures i posted and look at the diagram you're mentioning and tell me if plugs 2 and 3 are even close as well.... :P haha. im no electrical wizz BUT i do WANT to learn do to it myself so although i know it may be a pain i want to take care of it ,so if i run into something similar in the future i know what the terms mean and what i need to do. when i read fusible links i thought the directions/how to meant put a fuse connecting the wires to 12v+ wire. from what i read on your post it seems they are two completely different things. what is meant by fusable links if you dont mind me asking?

The wiring you're holding is:

- AFM plug

- AFM Ground wire

- The 2 two-wire plugs go to the VCM

The wire bundle to the coil and ignitor are completely seperate from the ECCS harness (EFI/ECU harness) on a stock 280zxt. There's a different harness that goes from the cockpit up through the left side fender to the 280zx coil location. Pull the wiring from a 280ZX donor or re-create the wiring - it's a simple bundle...

apparently i must have given that part of the harness away when i gave the car away for free... (damn!)... i just grabbed whatever was hooked up to the MAIN fat harness haha. any clue as to how to recreate that aspect of the wiring. i CAN definitely handle that. i got wire and the terminal ends for it. just need to know what wire would go where.

P.s.... VCM vacum control modulator? im guessing... if so are these two necessary? i deleted the EGR and smog crap on the swap haha

Edited by superduner

http://xenons130.com/reference.html

Too bad you gave up the 280zx donor. There's a LOT you could have learned about how your engine interfaces with the rest of the car... Understanding that, it would be easier to convert your early Z car to accept the new engine. (I took all the wiring from my donor that had ANY connection to the engine (starting at the battery), it's accessories, the ECU, coil and ignitor, relays... - not just the ECCS harness.)

There are so many differences between the 280ZXT and a 240:

- Alternator and it's wiring

- Voltage regulation (280zx = internal to the alternator, 240 = external (with a shunt to run the ammeter))

- Coil and ignitor (the ZXT ignitor is controlled solely by the ECU)

- Electrical power, fusable links, and relays

I chose to abandon certain things on my early 260 and substitute the 280ZXT parts and wiring. But, enough of the lecture...

I can't help you with the individual wires in your connectors - mine are all exactly as the wiring diagram (and the '83 wiring diagram on xenon's site shows those connectors exactly the same as the '82 wiring diagram) - my son's harness is also exactly the same...

You actually only need 4 or 5 or 6 of the wires in those 2 connectors (less than that to actually fire the engine), look at the swap diagram to see which functions you need, trace the wire from it's source to where it ends up in the connector, mark it, and wire it up accordingly. Good luck...

Yay im in san diego too just finally figured out my wiring

hell yeah holla at yah boy! lets get um done so we can hit up the races and track at the Q fridays!. saw a Z the last event pushing a 280z motor with a hot cam. car was pretty beat up but ran great. definitely motivated me to get mine done at least reliably. hit me up bro todays my day off 619-787-7671

hell yeah holla at yah boy! lets get um done so we can hit up the races and track at the Q fridays!. saw a Z the last event pushing a 280z motor with a hot cam. car was pretty beat up but ran great. definitely motivated me to get mine done at least reliably. hit me up bro todays my day off 619-787-7671

lol, my friend works for race legal. I don't get a lot of days off but I can try and give some help

• 1 year later...

Just wondering how both your cars are doing. Im in san diego too and trying to get my hands on a z car. I would love to see your cars up close. My friend has a sr20 510 and is also looking to find other datsun lovers. Hit me up so we can meet up!