HybridZ

Roll Cage in a ZX, Are these good mounting locations?

Recently aquired a roll bar from 280zjoel for an smoking deal. Anyway it was made for an s30 chassis and I amd trying to use it for an s130 or 280zx 2+2 chassis. I really only plan on running the main hoop. I need to cut the arms off and new ones will be welded in.

Here are some pics of it "in". The welder I brought it to said he ccould make a gusset box right behind the main beam for the main hoop points and then the arms would be welded straight to the shock tower. I do not plan on adding anything to it yet except for maybe a crossbar. I can do more points later, rules permitting. I figure with just the simple 4 point it is still eligible for plenty classes.

Anyway imagine the rags a the bottom are gusset boxes and I have a picture with the arms too short to reach the shock tower with the hoop completely vertical.

The first pic the behind the passanger seat

PICT0809-1.jpg

next two pics are behind the driver seat

tilted:

PICT0810-1.jpg

vertical:

PICT0811-1.jpg

As you can see the hoop is about 2-3inches from the actual wall of the car on both sides. Will that be a problem?

Also any suggestions are welcome. This will be the first cage I will ever have installed and honestly have been asking a lot of racing shops for info. On top of that its for a 280zx 2+2 so very few people have writeups and the ones I see have crazy cages in them.

Its not unsafe per se, its not as safe as it should be. Roll bars are a safety item and should be done right. There also might be an issue with your shoulder harnesses being pushed towards the inside if the main hoop is that far from the side of the car.

I mean with a new hoop. Are those locations where I should be looking to mount or would it be better to put it in front of the beam/seam. That roll bar is now being saved for my 260z, not my 280zx. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edit: The new question is this, should the main hoop be infront of the beam/seam thing, or should I keep it close to the wheel wells with a gusset box? I will be have a new main hoop made to fit snuggly around the inside.

Edited by BluDestiny

I would put the main hoop as far outboard as possible between the speaker and the front of the wheel well. Use the mounting plate allowance to build a little platform/box that ties in the beam, front of the wheel well, and the vertical side panel. Tieing in those three body panels will make that mount very strong.

Ok so I want it in that little corner then. Thank you John. I was looking at this picture and will probably take a clean shot of the rear area and use microsoft paint to fill in some more bars to see what it would look like. My inspiration is this picture, but I think this is for a s30 chassis (although I would assume the same principles apply). And of course I would only be looking at the rear most of the light green bars, The black cross bars that go from the strut towers to the corners in black, and the blue lateral bar between the strut towers.

chassis.gif

Edited by BluDestiny