HybridZ

Can't open Driver Side Door ('76 280z)

I've had this problem with the Z for about a year now and still can't really figure out what I'm looking at/for.

You can't open the door from the outside of the driver's door, but if you pull the door-lock nob up and the latch at the same time from the inside, it opens. The door also doesn't close all the way shut, so it rattles a bit when you drive.

I've given up at one point and took it to a Nissan Dealer and they couldn't figure it out and told me to just get another door. I've already had body work done on this door a few years ago, and '75-'76 doors just don't just pop-up on the market when ever I need one.

Anyone know what the problem is?

I'm thinking of taking the door apart and replacing the whole lock-latch assembly. Are all S30s interchangeable? Or do I need to look for '75-'76?

Are you sure the door handle isn't broken? This is a common reason for the exterior door handle not working. Take the interior door panel off and look where the door handle connects to the linkage. Pull up on the door handle and see if the linkage moves down. Sometime when the handle is broken it isn't that easy to see as the spring could be keeping the broken piece in place.

If the door mechanism is like a 240Z there is a nylon adusting nut on the linkage that connects the door handle to the door mechanism. If that nut has backed off the linkage will not push the door mechanism connection far enough when you pull up on the outside door handle. Sometimes the linkage just falls out place.

The nut adjustment effects the door lock plunger and the throw on the outside door handle. Just experiment with the adjustment until everything works right.

Remove the door panel and roll the window all the way up so you can see the door handle and linkage.