HybridZ

Purchased 83ZXT need to get it running

Ben's Z

I bought a 83 ZXT for the engine for my 77. The car has no fuel tank, fuel pump or sending unit. Can I just rig up a universal fuel pump and pull fuel from my gas can mower to try to get it running? Have the main line and return line dump in to the gas can? I hate to buy parts when the car is going to scrap once I get the motor running.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm a little confused. You bought this motor for your '77, but you're going to scrap it (the '77) once you get the motor running...? Am I missing something?

Anyways, this post is very vague. What ECU are you running? Did you get the wiring harness out of the car?

Please provide more details.

Edited by jacob80

Yes you can do that, as long as you don't have open flame or sparks flying it should be safe to have a gas can sitting next to the car feeding a generic high pressure pump to feed the injectors, with a return line going back to the tank. I've done this to diagnose fuel delivery issues.

This will allow to get the engine running, and ensure that all things are in good working order before you put the motor in your 77. Get the motor up to temp and do a compression and leak down test, that way you will know if you need to get it rebuilt before you have it sitting in the 77.

Just make sure the fuel pump you use can deliver fuel at 40 psi. You have to get the regulator pressurized to get a good fuel flow in the return. And be very careful about sparking from your battery and pump connections -- when I did this for flow testing injectors on my bench I kept the battery 4 feet away, and ensured that the electrical connections were totally solid to the pump.