HybridZ

Stuck Slave (Release) Cylinder

After installing the slave cylinder in my car, the pushrod is stuck in place and refuse to move, so the clutch fork is just stuck on engage

every time i try to bleed or just the press the clutch, the dust cover just blows off the cylinder leaking almost all the fluid,

I'm stumped on what to do, does anybody have any idea what to do?

You might need a longer pushrod, so that the piston in the slave cylinder starts deeper in the bore when the clutch pedal is up. Your piston is starting its stroke too close to the open end of the bore, pushing all the way out of the bore, and getting stuck, it sounds like. The early 240Zs had adjustable rods. What year car are you working with?

You might need a longer pushrod, so that the piston in the slave cylinder starts deeper in the bore when the clutch pedal is up. Your piston is starting its stroke too close to the open end of the bore, pushing all the way out of the bore, and getting stuck, it sounds like. The early 240Zs had adjustable rods. What year car are you working with?

A 79' 280ZX... the replacement I bought for the car came off of a Z Catalog so I find it hard to find a longer pushrod, and would that include the exploding leaking that I am getting?

A 1979 ZX shouldn't need a longer push rod, if all of the other components are stock and unbroken. If the fluid is coming out of the slave cylinder, then the rod has to be moving, if it's seated on the piston like it should be. It's just moving too far, which it shouldn't do.

Why did you put a new slave cylinder on? You might have a problem inside the bellhousing. I have read that the clutch forks do break and bend occasionally. Can you tell if yours is intact and not bent?

A 1979 ZX shouldn't need a longer push rod, if all of the other components are stock and unbroken. If the fluid is coming out of the slave cylinder, then the rod has to be moving, if it's seated on the piston like it should be. It's just moving too far, which it shouldn't do.

Why did you put a new slave cylinder on? You might have a problem inside the bellhousing. I have read that the clutch forks do break and bend occasionally. Can you tell if yours is intact and not bent?

The original owner said the slave cylinder has to be replaced (30 years old) and it was leaking so it had to be replaced... i tried moving the fork before it i installed the slave cylinder but i couldn't really tell if it was broken or not (not ASE certified just Do-It-Yourself)... any tips would help!