HybridZ

4.2L G engine Bonneville

BurtonBrown

We are going to attempt to break the G/GT record at Bonneville this fall and are contemplating what combination to use. I would like to see what some thoughts are out there.

We used an L6 Rebello engine with Carbs to set the record in the F/GT class at 172.9 last year (no G-nose). We have some thoughts about how to make that package go faster but we will wait a little and see if Joe Fontana breaks our record with his Opel.

So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the starting Block, Crank, Cylinder head (or heads) to use. The rule is 4.3L Max. We want to run naturally aspirated probably with Fuel injection. Its cooler to do it with carbs but I think we will need every ounce of HP we can get.

Is there a way to use an L6 block and get close to 4.3L? How costly is it to stroke a 350 or 370 engine to get to 4.2 or 4.3L? We have multiple trans combinations for the L6 which we could use.

Is there a way to use an RB engine and get it to 4.3L?

Anyone have any parts that would help with the project?

The record right now is 192. We will try this with and without the G-nose. Goal is to break 200mph.

Let me know if anyone has some constructive ideas.

Thanks

Burton Brown

www.victorymotorsports.org

We are going to attempt to break the G/GT record at Bonneville this fall and are contemplating what combination to use. I would like to see what some thoughts are out there.

We used an L6 Rebello engine with Carbs to set the record in the F/GT class at 172.9 last year (no G-nose). We have some thoughts about how to make that package go faster but we will wait a little and see if Joe Fontana breaks our record with his Opel.

So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the starting Block, Crank, Cylinder head (or heads) to use. The rule is 4.3L Max. We want to run naturally aspirated probably with Fuel injection. Its cooler to do it with carbs but I think we will need every ounce of HP we can get.

Is there a way to use an L6 block and get close to 4.3L? How costly is it to stroke a 350 or 370 engine to get to 4.2 or 4.3L? We have multiple trans combinations for the L6 which we could use.

The record right now is 192. We will try this with and without the G-nose. Goal is to break 200mph.

Thanks

Burton Brown

What horsepower level do you think you will need? Budget???

Since you talked about the Chevy engine, is there a need/desire to stay with the Nissan motor. If there is, what about a VH41DE from the Late 90' Infinity Q45. 4.1L V8 out of the box, don't know about overbore. Mid two hundred hp with stock electronics, go after market ECU, up the injectors and you should be able to push some serious power. If you have money to though at the engine. High compression pistons, maybe custome cams. No after market support for this engine is the only draw back. Everything would need to be custom.

My 2 cents.

I think we will need 600hp. Yes we can custom build our own headers and intake if we need to. Head porting and that we will leave to the people who know what they are doing. We want it as reliable as possible. Thats a relative term @ 15 or 16-1.

Not sure where they Chevy part came from. It has to be Nissan to run in GT.

Budget. We are not trying to spend as much as we can. That wouldn't be any fun. The real fun is when you can beat the guys with the unlimited budget.

So with that said again it would be nice to adapt the 5 speeds we have to be able to use the gear selections we have. We don't really want to put a whole drive train in just adapt the engine.

Thanks

Burton

"E" Class, "G" is 2.0 Liter.

The McMeekin Brothers run that Olds Aurora engine, the "G" that ran up there (#4500) was running a comparable Nissan IRL engine with the biggest K&N air filter I've ever seen! I think they then swapped it over to the Red G35 they ran the next year. That was one of those "$1 Engine Deals" from what I understand.

You may want to call Frank Honsoweitz at Ed Pink Racing Engines and see if he knows anybody with an old 4 Liter Nissan IRL engine for sale (or laying around gathering dust!)

Biggest RB I know of currently is 2.8L, or the 3.0's from Australia with the head exchanged to DOHC.

I'm happy, I came back Saturday with three brand-new Nissan OEM L20E Head Gaskets! (For that "G" Engine we have apart right now.) I thought about you at the Swap Meet as there was a complete induction set from a Drag Car for sale, triple 50mm ITB's, on matching manifold, with rail, injectors, pump, Haltec E6A, MSD 7 Timing Computer, and Kameari CAS Conversion Distributor. If it wasn't 3AM your time I would have called!!!

Edited by Tony D

Thanks Tony.......my dislexic fingers wanted the letter to be higher in the alhabet because the engine was bigger. :D

I will try to get ahold of them. I thought about the 2 liter gig as well.

Burton

Hey dont worry about calling late if there is a good deal.....I'm only grumpy until you tell me whats going on.

I believe one of the IRL original formulas was 4.0 or 4.5L, and later went to 3.5.

Either way, they were making between 600-718hp as I recall.

I know it punched that G35 to over 200, as well as the bigger car the year before!

Thanks

Burton Brown

Burton,

Is a turbo legal in G/GT? If so, you can build an L28 or RB26 turbo and most likely meet your power goals.

Pete

What about a slight bore decrease for the VK45DE engine (93mm bore 82.7mm stroke)? This engine was run in Japan in the Super GT races and, in restricted form, made 490hp. Unrestricted it made close to 750hp. Flat plane cranks and other performance parts are available for it here and over in Japan. This engine was used here in the US in the Q45, FX45, and M45 from 2002 through 2008. That engine is currently being used in various ALMS LMP2 cars and makes around 450hp in restricted form. As Tony suggests, contact Frank or Ed.

The truck V8s work well in the S30 Chassis, and the use of the Z32 Box makes installation fairly painless.

The SCORE 5.6L trucks (with the oem wet sump!) were making well over 700HP at 8200 rpms, delivery of power looked identical to a cammed L6. Very impressive. The smaller 4.5's are all over the place here in SoCal as wrecks, and if they take to mods like the Truck 5.6 (pistons and bumpsticks, remap the ECU and go racing...) it could be 'relatively' economical.

They sound nasty on the start line! But don't get illusions the L-Tranny will stand up to it. Just do the conversion to the Z32 box and it should handle anything you throw at it for these purposes.

Hell, they even got a decent autobox available.... :D

As to Pete's question about Turbos---it's BGT then, "Blown GT" and the speeds increase accordingly.

As a coupe running in GT you are allowed engine swaps, so anything Nissan made can go in there except a Diesel...that would put you in "Diesel Class" which has possibilities as well with what Willie Essing is doing to the Navara DI3.0Z Engines!

OK,

Lots of ideas here thanks.

Yes we will eventually end up with a Diesel in it as well and just for shits we will run our own Bio-diesel in it too. They won't let me run for a record with the bio in it but we will try to set some diesel records and then just make some passes with the Bio. There is an l6 that was a diesel and if anyone knows where there is one of those we would like to aquire a core to start with. We would probably run a turbo on that one. Will look at what the records are.

So you guys are more knowledgeable in the engine numbers and what they came in......I am not. What car/truck/year do I start looking at for in the junk yards? I will call about the IRL stuff but that almost sounds like its cheating in a way. I would rather do it the old fashioned way and earn it. A V8 is cool but apparently there doesn't seem to be a way to get 4.2L in a straight 6 config. If the V8 is the cheaper route (over the v6) that may be what we do. I just wonder about the headers fitting. Yeah we can fab them but it might be rather challenging.

I am also looking for an RB30 Block and crank if there are any leads on it just to start the next F engine combo.

Year and what to look for in a trans would be really helpful. Is there somewhere to get the trans ratios if different in different models?

IN the end if it sounds kinda wierd what we are doing, these engines may end up in something else........possibly a streamliner....who knows.

Burton

Seriously Burton, I wouldn't use the LD28 or LD28T (or for that matter the RD28!)

The Truck (Navara in the world market) has both a 2.7 and 3.0 turbodiesel four that makes whopping power with just chips and turbo/intercooler upgrade. I don't know if you can swap diesels into a car that didn't come with them factory...that would take a Maxima I guess, but 'swap'... I got to buy a rule book next Sunday when I go up to ElMirage. First outing on the new engine. Andy's putting it together in the garage now, talked with him on the phone for a while last night discussing our cooling mods from Jeff's car.

There are some cool 1.4L turbodiesel Skodas available CHEAP in europe. I think a small-bore turbodiesel would be a hoot to run. I've considered approaching Per-Dua in Malaysia about a car---they have N/A and Turbo versions with 650, 850, and 1000cc cars about the size of the old Honda S600. Not a lot of competition in those small bore classes, and the speeds lead to cheaper prep. I think it would be a good way to get 'The Boy' into the sport, as well as seeing a 300+# dude rolling out of the car during the evacuation test and rolling around in the dirt would probably be fun as well---good way to 'break in and christen' the new firesuit! :D

What's going on with Maxton, I hear they're shutting it down and the fight is on...

I wonder why nobody has approached the old Wurtsmith AFB in N.E. Michigan, those runways are used by Detroit for top speed tests, they have one active runway for jet maintenance, but no commercial traffic. You could take the ferry across to Traverse City and be there in two hours drive! Plus I have a cottage on Lake Huron 13 miles from the runway...so that would be a perfect excuse to attend! B)

Seriously Burton, I wouldn't use the LD28 or LD28T (or for that matter the RD28!)

The Truck (Navara in the world market) has both a 2.7 and 3.0 turbodiesel four that makes whopping power with just chips and turbo/intercooler upgrade. I don't know if you can swap diesels into a car that didn't come with them factory...that would take a Maxima I guess, but 'swap'... I got to buy a rule book next Sunday when I go up to ElMirage. First outing on the new engine. Andy's putting it together in the garage now, talked with him on the phone for a while last night discussing our cooling mods from Jeff's car.

There are some cool 1.4L turbodiesel Skodas available CHEAP in europe. I think a small-bore turbodiesel would be a hoot to run. I've considered approaching Per-Dua in Malaysia about a car---they have N/A and Turbo versions with 650, 850, and 1000cc cars about the size of the old Honda S600. Not a lot of competition in those small bore classes, and the speeds lead to cheaper prep. I think it would be a good way to get 'The Boy' into the sport, as well as seeing a 300+# dude rolling out of the car during the evacuation test and rolling around in the dirt would probably be fun as well---good way to 'break in and christen' the new firesuit! :D

What's going on with Maxton, I hear they're shutting it down and the fight is on...

I wonder why nobody has approached the old Wurtsmith AFB in N.E. Michigan, those runways are used by Detroit for top speed tests, they have one active runway for jet maintenance, but no commercial traffic. You could take the ferry across to Traverse City and be there in two hours drive! Plus I have a cottage on Lake Huron 13 miles from the runway...so that would be a perfect excuse to attend! B)

Yes Maxton is in its last year. They are looking for other venues and talking about possibly having a travelling series. I will talk to the Tonya and Kevin about it. Thanks