HybridZ

Installed 3.7 diff.with torsen LSD ,tires spin easier?

tomcraft

I have a 71 240z with 383 sbc.I just recently replaced an open 3.54 diff. With a 3.7 gleason torsen LSD .To my surprise on hard takeoff my tires spin way easier than they used to.I also installed 15/8 shorty headers replacing ram horn style .I was wondering what you guys think? is it higher gearing or the headers.I was always very surprised at how well it used to hold the ground and I was hoping for even better results and now I have to keep the rpm below 3500 or I just start spinning .I have a muncie m20 4 speed.Thanks for thoughts and or suggestions.

It's mostly due to the additional torque the 3.7:1 ratio transmits to the wheels.

The shorty headers may have gained you a few HP but not so much that it would be noticeably easier to spin the tires.

You might be better off mating that Torsen to the 3.54:1 gears, you'd be back at the ratio you were happier with and have the LSD.

Edited by wheelman

Thanks,that's what I assumed but not ever changing out gears before I didn't realize how much of a difference it would make.I thought the extra grip would handle the extra torque.there is a slight wine in the new diff so that might not be a bad idea.Wish I knew if my 1/4 mi. times are better but never been to the track.Is the slight whine normal with a gleason unit?

Thanks, that's good to know.no clunk.Is there a rule of thumb as far as choosing the right gearing between rear and tranny for best 1/4 mile times.Should tires start to spin at certain rpm or is the goal to minimize spin at all cost?to no one suprise I'm a noob but would like to set car up to be as good as it can because I'm hoping to get it to the track when time and $ allows me.Thanks.Yes they were 2"

Edited by tomcraft