HybridZ

82 turbo swap

dan

I just purchased a 82 with the following modsThe turbo has been upgraded to a GARRETT t3/t04e turbo

PACESETTER Exhaust manifold

HKS blow off valve

HSK waste gate

Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator

JSK fuel rail with Supra 440CC injectors

Megasquirt 3.57 controller (new from diyautotune.com) and sensors

MSD Ignition coil

3†exhaust

Huge front mount intercooler

Volvo pressurized cooling system

and I am planning on swapping into a 78 280z and with it having megasquirt will i be able to use my 78 wiring harness and not use the 82 harness also he said it is running 10 lbs of boost what kind oh hp est would you think this setup is running and what could I do to increase those hp . I am a newbie to turbos thanks for any input

Why on earth use the stock 40+ year old harness with a new ECU?

Methinks you are asking for troubles you wouldn't otherwise have. A new harness for the MS runs about $65 plus vehicle specific terminations.

if the 82 is running, then I would just swap everything over to the 78 (including the ecu wiring).

If for some reason you don't want to remove the ecu wiring from the 82, then run new wire in the 78.

With a stock turbo engine, 10 psi with an intercooler, and 3" exhaust should make around 215hp at the wheels. But you should be able to turn the boost up fairly easily for more power.

You you should be able to get to 300++ rwhp with appropriate tuning. The factory fuel pressure regulator is more than adequate. Pacesetter makes a turbo exhaust manifold? Also make sure you have enough fuel pump and flow for your goal.

Turning up the boost is easy with a manual boost controller or a fancy electronic boost controller. Just because it's set to 10psi doesn't mean it cant be adjusted to higher or lower. You just need to make sure you add the right amount of fuel for tha amount of air. Get a wideband O2 sensor hooked up to that Megasquirt and learn about tuning fuel and timing maps.

Edited by cygnusx1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I just took delivery on car and he said he had removed the wideband 02 sensor .I will need to replace it and start reading how to on megasquirt.

I would like to see pics of the pacesetter manifold can we get some engine bay pics .

You can go to ebay item number 200617953246 and see pics I cant get it to run right it wants to miss or shut down when it starts to boost hopefully its with the megasquirt . I have been reading about ms so i can possible figure out what causing the miss. The guy listed as a well tuned auto and when I asked the guy picking up the car he said it barely pulled up on the trailor. Also I think the guy was a member here any info on the car would be helpful he also listed valves need adjusting but it has a p90a hyd and the lifters are wore out .