HybridZ

Rear trans leak

ll77

Hi guys

My transmission has been leaking from the rear so I dropped my driveshaft to change the rear seal. There was a shitload of rtv on the seal, and when I cleared all the rtv, I saw that the metal part that holds the seal on the transmission is severely chipped. What is this called, and is it easily replaceable? The transmission is in the car right now. Thanks.

Edited by ll77

You should post a picture. But it sounds like your transmission housing is broken. The tail piece is not replaceable, it's part of the housing. If the remaining pieces will hold the seal, you might be able to get by with sealant between the new seal and the chipped housing. That might be what the RTV you found was there for.

Post a picture for audience enjoyment, and maybe some advice.

Yeah so I finally got some crappy pics <_<

How it looked:

IMG_0404.jpg

This is the old seal, the orange stuff is rtv

Front (engine side)

IMG_0406.jpg

Rear (drive shaft side)

IMG_0407.jpg

I thought it was cool that it had a metal band inside to snug it on the shaft

IMG_0409.jpg

it took me a week and a half to get it right, I didn't want to use to much rtv, but it kept leaking. It still leaks, but within a tolerable amount. I guess it will stay that way until I can fix the transmission

So my teacher says that I may be able to replace the tail shaft quite easily, way he told me it sounded like a bolt on process. And it looks as though it could be pretty easy with the driveshaft and shifter off. Any words on this?

Edited by ll77

Nasty looking.

My mistake on replaceablity of the tail section, if you consider half of the whole transmission housing as the "tail shaft". You'll probably need to buy a whole transmission to get the piece you need.

Good drawings available in the FSM, with instructions.

• 1 month later...

You need a tail housing. I have a 81-83 5spd (minus the front case) I'll let go for cheap. I could sell you the 5spd/tail housing for 20 plus shipping or just the tail section for the same price. The 5spd is well worn, so no real prize there.

Edit:

It is easy to replace, I would pull the transmission and do it on the bench. Once the trans is out, it's 20minutes of work max to get the tail housing off.

I'm up near Sacramento if you are interested.

Edited by rejracer

Price drop on the tail housing: free, just pay shipping. It's a 1 ear tail housing from an 81-83 280zx. It will work with your transmission, but you will need the 81-83 speedo cog body. The difference between the two tail housings and speedo drive cog bodies is documented here.