HybridZ

Strange Tail Light Issue

The car is a 1978 280Z, 2+0 4-Speed Manual.

The car has your standard Dash lights/ Tail lights not working. I can deal with the dash lights not working for now until I rewire the entire interior, but I want to drive the car at night so I decided to do something about the tail lights. It blows a fuse every time I try to turn them on.

First I tried disconnecting the tail lights and turning on all the lights, and it still blew a fuse. I then tried disconnecting my Combi-Switch thinking that may be the issue, but it still blows a fuse.

I took 10 gauge amp wire with a 30A fuse and ran it to a toggle switch, also grounded that switch. I cut each tail light wire (Green with white stripe on this car) and ran them directly to the switch. Turn them on, and the fuse pops.

So I decide to run each ground separately to eliminate that potential problem, popped in a new fuse only to blow that one.

I am running out of ideas now.

The Body Electrical section of the FSM has some good small wiring diagrams, that show connectors with color codes. You should be able to at least isolate your short to a smaller area. Pretty sure that the connections all run next to the passenger seat, under the carpet.

Have you tried removing the bulbs and turning the tail lights on to be sure you don't have a short a cross a bulb socket? Get things to where you can turn the combination switch on without blowing the fuse, then reconnect things until it blows.

The Body Electrical section of the FSM has some good small wiring diagrams, that show connectors with color codes. You should be able to at least isolate your short to a smaller area. Pretty sure that the connections all run next to the passenger seat, under the carpet.

Have you tried removing the bulbs and turning the tail lights on to be sure you don't have a short a cross a bulb socket? Get things to where you can turn the combination switch on without blowing the fuse, then reconnect things until it blows.

I already tried disconnecting the tail lights entirely, and that still blew a fuse but I'll try your idea since I am on a new circuit now.

Somehow with the bulbs disconnected and even the combo switch disconnected not only does it blow the fuse something starts smoking under the dash. These are separate wires and grounds none of which are under the dash.

I had some issues blowing rear tail lights fuses because of problem in the front.

I had to rewire the lights harness however on mine to meet Euro regulations with lights (blinkers on side lights in the front, brake and blinkers on the rear had to be separated)

Try disconnecting all the bulbs you can (easy to do) and check again.

If you've tried without the switch, without bulb, it remains only wires...

If something is smoking under the dash, you might be able to spot the location and see what could be linked with lights...

Good luck with your issue, I've lost many weekends dealing with the issue and nice opportunities to drive my Z because of electrical issue, I feel your pain :(

Edited by Lazeum