HybridZ

noob sbc swap in Cali

Hello everyone.......I am a noob and need some help!

This question is aimed to v8 240z owners in California.......

I am planning on buying a 240z (pre-1975), which is smog excepts in Cali. However, I have been reading on this forum and around other places, and found mix answers.

Is it legal to drop a sbc V8 in a 240z in California? Meaning if I get pulled over by a cop and he pops my hood and sees a big ass v8 in there would he impound my car or give me a thumbs up?

Thank you all very much

sim

Is it legal to drop a sbc V8 in a 240z in California?

Only if you install the V8's original smog equipment and get it certified by a ref. Search for this as it has been discussed ad nauseum.

This has been covered extensively. Buy and read the Jags That Run manual from the JTR website and read the manual several times before you start your project. JTR covers most of basics concerning smog legal v8 swaps. A 1975 and older car is only exempt from the smog inspection., It still has to have the year-appropriate smog equipment to be a legal engine swap.

Keep searching.

Only if you install the V8's original smog equipment and get it certified by a ref. Search for this as it has been discussed ad nauseum.

SO even if I dropped a carbureted v8 sbc in a 240z I would still need smog equipment? I dont think that a 69 350 v8 had smog equipment.

I'm sure a '69 350 had some sort of smog equipment, like PCV. That is a moot point however, because you cannot put in an engine older than the chassis (e.g. no earlier than a '73 engine in a '73 chassis).

The engine has to have what ever smog equipment was required for the year the engine was built. For example, a mid 1960s engine might only have an EGR or a smog pump. But here is the rub: to be a legal swap the engine has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle it is going into. So a 1975 240Z would have to have a 1975 or newer engine to be legal. If you don't plan on building a smog legal 240Z V8 then you can put what ever you want in it.

Try googling California engine swap laws. Also the DMV website has info on engine swaps.

The engine has to have what ever smog equipment was required for the year the engine was built. For example, a mid 1960s engine might only have an EGR or a smog pump. But here is the rub: to be a legal swap the engine has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle it is going into. So a 1975 240Z would have to have a 1975 or newer engine to be legal. If you don't plan on building a smog legal 240Z V8 then you can put what ever you want in it.

Try googling California engine swap laws. Also the DMV website has info on engine swaps.

OOOOOO!!! OK I see. Just to recap...SO when I get my 240z I can swap an engine from any car into my 240z, as long as the engine is the same year as my 240z or newer. And the engine has to have all the factory smog control equipment (Cat,o2 etc) when I swap the engine into my 240z. If this is correct then I think I got it!

you guys are amazing!!!!! THANK YOU!

Good racing,

sim

I believe that the car has to retain whatever smog/vapor control equipment it came with such as the fuel tank vapor recovery tank, hoses, connections to engine etc. Best thing is to read the actual current Califonia DMV rules.

Ummm just to throw a curve ball to everyone here. My 75 280 has been barred for the 1968 camaro motor thats been lodged in it. So i'm not to sure about the newer engine thingy.

And yes it has the bar tag on the door jam with the engine vin and all that fun stuff.

Lozer

They didn't raise any issues about the year of manufacture? I have wondered about how they could make much of a deal about small block chevy engines since they were pretty similar from year to year. For example, is there really a difference between say a 1972 SBC and a 1976 SBC? The 76 SBC may have had some different smog equipment on it then the 72, but the engine is basically the same.

So did they treat your 68 Camaro engine as a generic SBC and issue the bar tag or is the rule about using and engine the same year or newer not valid?

Ummm just to throw a curve ball to everyone here. My 75 280 has been barred for the 1968 camaro motor thats been lodged in it. So i'm not to sure about the newer engine thingy.

And yes it has the bar tag on the door jam with the engine vin and all that fun stuff.

Wow seee this was what i was talking about when i said i found and read mix answers about 240z swaps in Cali :rolleyes: