HybridZ

Removal of Body Trim for Paint Prep?

Still new to the world of auto painting and body work, and am still much in the learning process. I have most of my Z sanded now and most of the body trim and acccesories taken off (headlights, decals, mirrors, door handles, ect.) I'm getting ready to put the primer on and i have some questions about certain areas of the car. There is the chrome around the top and bottom of the windows. I've read how the drip rail comes off but have yet to try it, but I have no idea how the bottom chrome trim piece comes off? It is the chrome piece that runs along the bottom of the window on the doors.

• 3 weeks later...

You just have to pull the bottom trim straight up to remove it. My need something to pry it up to get it started.

Thats what i figured. Is it clipped on, or is there an adhesive holding it in place? Also will it go back on smoothly. I'd really like to not have to replace anything else I've pulled off.

Thats what i figured. Is it clipped on, or is there an adhesive holding it in place? Also will it go back on smoothly. I'd really like to not have to replace anything else I've pulled off.

They attach with metal clips, no adhesive unless someone else added it... They're pretty easy easy to remove and re-install without any fuss. Go slowly to get them started coming off. Much easier to remove than the drip rail IMO. I recommend taking them off (because it's easy) - you'll have a much nicer paint line.