HybridZ

1st Run on new engine - Leaking front cover :(

duragg

Got my new F54 / N42 running.

Oil leaking at the sides of the top of the front cover where it meets the head.

The tip of the screwdriver pinpoints the spot. Similar but smaller amount on the other side.

Don't think I can torque those front screws anymore - Fraid of pulling them out.

Does this mean a do-over?

post-1894-030227300 1312073479_thumb.jpg

Just clean the seam really well to remove any oil. Use acetone or another wax/grease remover. Just make sure it is super clean and dry of all oil. Then just put a bead of clear silicone sealant around the seam. I've done this a bunch of times and it works well.

Pete

Great call on clear silicone... Why do I always seem to get the message about 3 hours too late?

I am not proud of this...

post-1894-075582500 1312251916_thumb.jpg

I covered the lower and upper case vents and put a shop vac on in the oil fill hole creating a vacuum.

I could feel suction by the leak so the hole is pretty big (don't really want to talk about why it is there.)

Then I used Gasket Shallac and let it draw into the void.

Shut down the vacuum and goooped over the area about 9 more times just to be sure.

Having fun again now! A couple of battle scars aren't no big thing.

Tj

Great call on clear silicone... Why do I always seem to get the message about 3 hours too late?

I am not proud of this...

post-1894-075582500 1312251916_thumb.jpg

I covered the lower and upper case vents and put a shop vac on in the oil fill hole creating a vacuum.

I could feel suction by the leak so the hole is pretty big (don't really want to talk about why it is there.)

Then I used Gasket Shallac and let it draw into the void.

Shut down the vacuum and goooped over the area about 9 more times just to be sure.

Having fun again now! A couple of battle scars aren't no big thing.

Tj

A little silver paint?