HybridZ

Dented Roof

Pasquale

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first 240z last weekend. The car is in amazing shape for its age (it's a '73) but the roof is pretty dented due to the previous owners grandchildren running up the hood and onto the roof. Im going to call a dent remover and see what he can do for the roof skin but ultimately I think that at least portions of the roof are going to need to be cut out and patched. I've been doing a lot of research and I see that a lot of people just change out the skin but all of the threads seem to just end with no real finished product or answers as to how the project went. I was wondering if I could get some point of views and/or advice as to what the best way to change the roof skin would be. Ive seen it done a bunch of different ways but there is a better way for each car you just have to ask the right people. :D

Thanks in advance!

I'll post pictures of the roof later tonight.

Edited by Pasquale

Yeah I believe thats what the dent remover is going to do. I just think that there are spots on the roof that are beyond simple repair. I would probably do kart-wheels if told otherwise though lol!

Edited by Pasquale

Im about to take off from work so I'll have those picks and you guys can tell me what you think.

Mine was caved in by kids walking on the roof and the books the wife stored there There was an inverse "bubble" about 24" around. The edges were not "crimped". I was about to push it out and up from the inside, but my body man stopped that. He used some heat and a wet towel from the outside to the inside in a circle to shrink the metal. Unlike anything I'd ever seen. It wasn't cheap, but my roof is straight and it has no small holes filled with bondo,

Find some body man that has built a true leadsled or is engaged in high end classic restoration. It apparently used to be a common technique. Worked for me.

G

Sorry no pictures tonight I pretty much flubbed every picture I took when I got home from work lol.

Do you think that technique would work if the roof isnt evenly dented? It looks like those kids werent walking in the same place on the roof every time.

Edited by Pasquale