HybridZ

HELP: Im driving in the dark. Need help on wiring headlights

Hey guys, my 260z has no lights

1. Good combination switch

2. Good battery

My Headlights, Markers, or tail lights do not work. But brake lights work.

I tried to trace from the combination switch to the fuse box and no luck. I tried to "ground" many black wires as I can find, no luck. I tried to check continuity at the combo switch and headlight (white/red and Red) is good. At running light (Green/White and Green/Blue) is good.

Anyhoo, when I got the car, I noticed that nothing worked, except for the driver headlight did turn on but super weak. Is there a Fuse or relay or some sort of unit that is blown or should be replaced?

I have checked the "L and R" headlight fuses, and even put a solid link as a screwdriver in fuse area, with no luck.

Any ideas?

Oh when I unplugged the combo switch and the turn switch, I step on the brakes and Right turn --> goes on.

Are these 260z 240z lights configured in a series like those "old school" xmas lights that if one bulb dies, they all die???

So if the battery connection and combo switch are tested well/welded( and also plugged into the right plugs.)

It always isn't a bad idea to replace the fuses since they are cheap, and check that they are the right amps.

If you're stepping on the breaks and the turn switch came on then the wiring plugs could be messed up. check the taillight cluster. as well as the plugs in the fender area that deal with headlights/markers. front and back markers can also be bad grounds that take out the head and tail lights respectively. Make sure you ground them ( thats what happened to me once)

If you cant tell, use your fsm, and flip to the circuit diagram, pick a problem light, and trace it on the diagram, see where else it connects/joins up until it hits the fuse/combo.

Start tracing

I prefer to start at the light.

Check from there that the connections are good and right, and follow it to the fuse. you don't need to keep pulling up upholstery or anything since i really doubt there'd be a problem in the middle of the line unless something bad has happened in the interior or something sharp/heavy cut into the upholstery. If a wire is bad, most of the time it's at the ends/ connections. Check the fsm and everytime the wire joins up with another part of the circuit, check that connection, and see if the relay/wire it joins up with doesn't lead to a bad ground or anything.

Thanks, I will do what you said. There isn't much wires to deal with these Z's so it shouldn't be that bad. I do have the wiring diagram on the computer, The fuses all look good, but looks good could be bad. I will order new fuses just the the sake of knowing. I'll surely check all the grounds.

thanks.

Hey bud I had a similar problem with my 260z. When I first got my Z the headlights worked...drivers was real dim. The light was perfectly fine but i discovered that the wire harness (3 british type bullet connectors, 2 w/ triple in/outputs and 1 w/ dual in/output) connectors were covered with grit, road grime, and all sorts of other detritus. These cars are....classic....and classics have needs. Basically what i did was clean all the connectors, renewed the damage as necessary and then moved on towards the fuse panel removing it from the chassis inspecting the backside (discovered a spider web) removed and mapped the fuses then cleaned all the terminals. Later tested and renewed fuses as necessary re-installed the fuse panel applying protective wax on the fuses and terminal contacts....and VIOLA. Oh also theres one main chassis ground thats hidden (atleast it was on my car)....yes only one, why? Im not sure but there ya go.....be sure to clean that ground compulsively. I found mine hidden behind the main electrical harness with rust on the hold down screw.

Sorry for the story but basically {chassis electrical service} does a world of good

Hey bud I had a similar problem with my 260z. When I first got my Z the headlights worked...drivers was real dim. The light was perfectly fine but i discovered that the wire harness (3 british type bullet connectors, 2 w/ triple in/outputs and 1 w/ dual in/output) connectors were covered with grit, road grime, and all sorts of other detritus. These cars are....classic....and classics have needs. Basically what i did was clean all the connectors, renewed the damage as necessary and then moved on towards the fuse panel removing it from the chassis inspecting the backside (discovered a spider web) removed and mapped the fuses then cleaned all the terminals. Later tested and renewed fuses as necessary re-installed the fuse panel applying protective wax on the fuses and terminal contacts....and VIOLA. Oh also theres one main chassis ground thats hidden (atleast it was on my car)....yes only one, why? Im not sure but there ya go.....be sure to clean that ground compulsively. I found mine hidden behind the main electrical harness with rust on the hold down screw.

Sorry for the story but basically {chassis electrical service} does a world of good

Figured it out, it was the high beam switch on the turn signal stick. It was bad, so the ground was not going to the high or low beam at the switch. Now it's just an issue of finding one at the junk yard, or paying over $50 for one on ebay. I'll put a toggle switch for now i guess. Thanks yall.