HybridZ

83 280zx stops accelerating at 30 mph

83 280zx with 70,000 miles.

I drove the car the night before, and all was well, but when I tried to drive it the next day, when I shift into third or fourth gear and hit around 30 mph, I suddenly lose power and the accelerator is unresponsive. The car then begins to slow down, and will have random bursts of acceleration without me touching the pedal.

I lived on a dirt road for about 8 months, so I think maybe it could be the fuel filter? Also, the turbo seems to be working, but barely...

I honestly don't know a lot about cars,just enough to get by... I'm an 18 year old girl who just fell in love with this car...

please help lol

If you don't know much about cars its going to be hard to fix the problem yourself until you get educated. First, buy the Haynes manual for your car from Amazon or a local bookstore (if you can find it there). Second, read it. Third, buy a basic metric tool kit.

Fuel filter, air filter, etc. are good items to check. Also, go through the engine compartment and check all the electrical connections, vacuum hoses, etc. Good luck.

you can also download the Factory Service Manual from xenons130 website. Its free and a pretty good manual. you need to learn how to put a vacuum gage on the sytem and check the fuel pressure. Vacuum leaks are the bane of a fuel injected engine and poor fuel delivery is common on a Z. replace the fuel filter but that has nothing to do with living on a dirt road. Maybe the air filter but unlikely it is plugged up ennough to limit speed to 30mph. look for any hoses in the engine room that are dangling. find a cute guy that knows something about cars and use feminine wiles. check around on the internet to see if there is a z car club near you. Most members more than happy to help out a newbie with a problem.