HybridZ

Need help with 1977 280z

OK so the other day i bought a 280z the car had a rough idle till i put new plugs in it it idles fine and it runs fine but u try to drive it when u push the acclerator all the way to the floor it oes nothing it just stays at 2000 rpms but when it siting in nuetral it revs fine also one of the cylinders only has 90psi of compression and i can fell the motor missing

what should the timing be set at and how do i check it???

"how do i check it" is a worrisome phrase. The 280Z is actually a good car to learn on since it is very basic and everything is accessible and easy to see. But if you don't know how to check timing you should probably pick up a book about general auto repair and maintenance, along with downloading the FSM. You'll need a timing light to check timing and a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure.

"how do i check it" is a worrisome phrase. The 280Z is actually a good car to learn on since it is very basic and everything is accessible and easy to see. But if you don't know how to check timing you should probably pick up a book about general auto repair and maintenance, along with downloading the FSM. You'll need a timing light to check timing and a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure.

well the reason i dont know how to check the timing on the car is because im from the vw croud and i just got the car and wasnt really looking for it when i stubbled upon it and it ends up the car i have is automatic which i also dont like but the guy has 2 more cars a 240z parts car with a good motor and a 260z with no motor that i will be picking up from him as well

Im also 15

Edited by k204drek

The procedure to check timing is the same whether it's a Datsun, Volkswagen, Ford or Volga. Newzed makes a great point: buy a general automotive repair book and self-educate.

ok i will check the timing when i get home when im adjusting the valves im at school right now

well i believe i might have found the problem atleast i thought so i put the missing rocker arm back on and it runs good it has a low power but it runs the best it ever has now there is another problem well 2 actually there is a huge air sound coming from the front of the car when i rev and it it bogs out and the fuel pump is running all the time and it sounds like its straining when i rev it in park it sputters and back fires until gets to about 2500 rpms and it runs good

2011-08-18_17-52-51_51.jpg

post-21956-049279700 1313710255_thumb.jpg

Edited by k204drek