HybridZ

S2000 seats installed in a 280Z

Arif

I've been looking at how others have installed their s2000 seats in thier Zs. As discussed before, the transmission tunnel is too wide to mount the seats with their rails on the 280Z. I didn't want to bash my transmission tunnel in order to get them to fit and I couldn't find a local shop that was interested in welding the brackets like misterz's old s2000 seats. So I headed to home depot and bought metal stock that were 3/16" thick (the others were too thin and flexed easily), 1 1/2" wide and 36" in length. I also bought some nuts and bolts.

The seats I'll be installing. Still need to be cleaned after grinding off the rivets holding the brackets to the rails

2011-08-18124747.jpg

Here's the brackets after the rails have been cut off

2011-08-18124850.jpg

Here's the rails that were cut off. I won't be using them because I plan to use the stock frame rails

2011-08-18124910.jpg

These are the metal stock I got from home depot that I'll be using to mount the brackets to the stock frame rails

2011-08-18125320.jpg

2011-08-18125037.jpg

Since I'm removing my Miata seats I'll be heading to the pick and pull to grab a set of stock frame rails. Then I'll bend the metal stock, drill the necessary holes and bolt the seats in. Stay tuned.

Edited by Arif

I went over to a friends house to bend the metal on his vise. Here is what they look like:

2011-08-25095643.jpg

Once the metal was cut I bolted them to the stock frame rails:

2011-08-25131144.jpg

Here is the metal bolted to the seat bracket:

2011-08-25132956.jpg

The finished product:

2011-08-25135548.jpg

After finishing the driver's seat I've accomplished my original goal of installing the S2000 seats without bashing the transmission tunnel or welding(used locktite). The process was simple just a lot of measuring, drilling and putting the seat in and out to test fit them. I anticipate the passenger seat will go a lot faster since the measurements are close and I know what I'm doing now.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately my passenger seat came first, so I'll be installing that this weekend to see how it goes. What did you have to do for cutting the rails off? Also I'm assuming since you used the stock frame rails you just removed the S2000 seatbelt connector and used the Z one? I gotta say these seats feel really nice and hold you really well.

I used a drill with a cut off wheel. I think I went through 2 or 3 discs before I got the rails off the seats. It goes easier if you cut off the rivets that attach the rails to the frame of the seats. After the head is cut off of the rivets I just used a hammer and screwdriver to push the rest of it out.

I'm assuming you talking about the connector that the seat belt clicks into. My S2000 seats didn't come with seat belt connectors so I used the stock ones.

They are so comfortable after you get used to the higher seating position.

BTW My driver's side armrest is pushing into the seat when the door is closed. I think I'm going to remove the armrest and cut about 1/2 off of it and reinstall it. The seat belt guide on the side of the seat also rubs so I'm going to cut part of that so it clears.

Good luck installing them. You won't regret it.

One more question, I can't tell from your pic, did you just cut off most of that slide adjustment handle on the bottom of the S2000 seats? I also finished removing the rails from my driver's seat. Is kind of a pain. Basically I just completely removed the seat bracket/rails from my seat, drilled pretty far through the rivets, then using vice grips crushed the one end until it pretty much twisted off, then I was able to then hammer the crap out of the rivets.

Yeah I used the disc to cut off the handle right before it goes through the guide. It's not in way because the stock rails has the handle on the other side. Which reminds me I need to wrap mine in tape so someone doesn't cut themselves on it.

I made my brackets stupidly. I made the brackets to fit the seat first just using your pictures as reference, the way I ended up bending my metal it came out sitting up a bit higher than yours did. Maybe a half inch to 3/4 of an inch higher than your seat sits, but because of the way I did it my seat actually just clears that hump in the transmission tunnel so my seat is centered, actually when I measured it it sits slightly closer to the trans tunnel than it does to the door, but my arm rest and seatbelt guide do not rub. So it's a tradeoff. Just a little bit higher seating position or you go a little lower, but have to mount it more off center towards the door. It'll take a little getting used to, but man the seat feels so good for driving position, and holding you in I think it'll completely be worth it. Now I need to go finish up the passenger seat's bracket.

• 3 months later...

Here is the metal bolted to the seat bracket:

Once the metal was cut I bolted them to the stock frame rails:

2011-08-25131144.jpg

My brackets have holes for the seats on the top on the left and side on the right. My car had Z31 seats in it though. Are mine not the stock seat brackets or did you drill holes in the top of the right one?

Edited by RomanLA

The stock s30 brackets have holes on the sliders front and back. It sounds like you've got sliders/brackets for the Z31 or a custom job. Do you have any pics?

I'm kinda thinking they're the Z31 brackets, since the seat holes line up so well. I just bought a set of driver/passenger brackets off ebay. It sounds like I'll need to wait until they arrive to finish up my project.

seat_brackets.JPG

Edited by RomanLA

Hmmm those seats look really good in a Datsun, maybe I need to borrow my friends s2000 seats. He shouldn't mind, haha. Although I will probably weld in the frame or just use the stock seat setup as my trans tunnel is custom and slightly slimmer then the stock tunnel was originally.