HybridZ

Bent rear subframe repair

So when i purchased the Z about a month back i didnt notice that the drivers side rear tire was slightly pushed back. At first i thought the control arms were bent but yesterday when i dropped the suspension i looked and i realized that the subframe was bent (prolly through accident)

anyone got any ideas on fixing it...its very difficult to tell in the pics but its slightly bent and its causing the drivers side rear tire to be pushed back about 3 to 4 inches

thanks

post-22778-052668200 1313892143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aryan

Cant really tell what part of the subframe this is or how bad its bent from the picture posted.

My thoughts are you have something more than a bent subframe if your wheel is that bad off of center. Bad control arm, multiple bends in subframe, bad bushings, etc.

Take some more pics

I honestly cant tell where its bent bad enough to be making that significant of an impact on wheel placement within the wheel well.

My suggestion is to take a plumb bob and determine if the car is "square" at the suspension points. There is plenty of info out there on how exactly to go about this process.

In any case its always a good idea to make sure the car is not in need of frame repair in the case of post accidental issues.

Depending on sentimental value and purchase price you might have a better shot and looking for a different chassis before you tie up a whole bunch of funds in a project that will never drive as well as one that hasnt been wrecked so badly.

But in any case check everything you can before scrapping the project. all suspension points, ie- not just the subframe, you need to look at strut housings, strut towers, aft LCA mounting points (not the ones on the subframe) and make sure none of these parts are causing the issue.

Hope this helps

Still not sure what I'm looking at. Maybe take more light down there or use a straight edge? From what I gather, the control arm mount is twisted in relation to the plane of the body, does the car have other signs of damage?

If the car is indeed twisted or contorted in the plane that I'm imagining the outlooks are not good. This type of damage would imply:

*a massive hit to the wheel directly, forcing the control arm to pull the rear control arm mount

*the body is rusting to such an extent that the metal groaned it's way out of shape

You would have to catalog more areas of damage like if the rear control arm mount is also twisted, or if there is substantial gaping inbetween the seams of the rear subframe.

Well to answer your question your options are limited.

1. Go to a shop and have your frame pulled, but unless the body shows signs of being crinkled the shop won't be able to pull anyhting, they may be able to secure the car and use a ram to twist the car back into shape.

2. Cut out the bent frame and replace it, assuming the rest of the car is not contourted.

3. If it is very localized, you can use a selection of hammers to try and push it back into shape.

4. Buy a car with a straight frame.

5. Ignore the damage