HybridZ

tail light wiring

Memphis280zxt

I purchased my 82 280zx about a year ago and i am still finding random wiring issues with my car. Recently my dash lights went out along with my running lights, but my brake lights and turn signals work just fine. Im not very experienced with wiring repairs so I've been struggling to find the problem. Im 90% sure its a short behind the dash somewhere but i cant seem to find it.

So my solution until i can buy a complete wiring harness for my car is to manually wire the running lights through a toggle switch i will install in the dash. So my question is how exactly can i run my own power wires to rig this switch to work?

any help/references is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem on my 240Z. It may not be a short. I traced the problem to a broken solder joint inside the light switch. Soldered the offending joint and had lights. I also keep spare light and turn signal switches on hand so I can just swap them in when diagnosing light problems. It only takes a few minutes to swap out the switches saving time having to go point to point with a volt meter.

Did you check the fuses?

Edited by Miles