HybridZ

Correct Bushing/Washer Placement for Swaybar Attachment

Would this be the correct order for placing the washers and bushings in when mounting the swaybar? If this is wrong can someone please correct me via a picture or just spell it out in writing. I goofed and didn't pay attention when I took this stuff apart.

post-13971-078380800 1314831633_thumb.jpg

post-13971-031678400 1314831648_thumb.jpg

Also while I'm asking questions...is it okay to use a bolt instead of these stock threaded pieces? Could you just use two washer things with a spacer of the appropriate length sandwiched between them. I'm wanting to see if this okay before I go get some grade 8 bolts for the job (would grade 8 be appropriate or overkill??) Something like this...

post-13971-076128300 1314831866_thumb.jpg

I think you've got a couple extra metal washers in there....no need for washers between the poly bushings and the control arm or between the bushings and the sway bar. If you feel that you need to make the "sandwich" tighter, add washers to the top of the stack...directly beneath the threaded nut.

Yes, you can replace the stock sway bar end links w/ standard style bolt....that's what most aftermarket suppliers do (e.g. Energy Suspension). Also gives you the option of lengthening or shortening your end links. The stock end links can become difficult if one of the nuts is rusted on or stripped.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lip on the bushing around the inner diameter hole that lip faces toward the other bushing clamping to the control arm there should not be a washer in-between the bushing and the control arm. The order should be from the bottom going up, grade 8 bolt, washer, bushing lip facing up, control arm, bushing with lip facing down, washer, spacer, washer,bushing with lip up, sway bar, bushing with lip facing down, washer, and finally a nut. if you are putting in polyurethane don't forget to put on that horrible grease that acts more like glue, but stops it from squeaking which is the only down side i have found for that material when using it for suspension.