HybridZ

Subaru R160 LSD into 240Z

AZhitman

OK, I'm sure this has a simple answer, and I promise I searched....

I have a 3.7 LSD R160 from an 80's Subaru. It looks like the input flange will mate to the driveshaft, but I'm not finding any information on whether it'll play nice with the stock Z axles or Z31 turbo CV axles.

Can anyone help?

Sorry for the n00b question, and thanks in advance!

It will likely be a bolt-in stub axle, and if you use the stock 240Z axles and bolt-in stubs will probably work fine. IF it uses clip-in axles, I.E. you can look straight through the diff from axle hole to axle hole, OR you can look into the axle holes and see the circlip, than you can use the axles I've got listed in the classifieds, or try using the axles from an 81-85 maxima...but the maxima axles will probably be too long. Probably.

There's a datsun 510 site that lists all applicable Subaru LSDs that will bolt in with no mods. Try searching 510 sites. The early LSds from subby will bolt in, but it is only just a few years that work. It's a rare find if you have the right year! good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I put an R160 3.70 LSD into my VG30ET powered 510 and it's lasted a good decade. It had custom exhaust, euro cams, Wolf ECU with 300ZX wheels. A friend also ran one behind his VG30DETT for many years w/o any issues, as well. If you can get one for a good price, it's worth a shot. There is one in my other 510 that I put in back in 1991 and the diff was out of an '88 XT turbo. That car had an L16, L18, L22 with Electromotive/TMW induction and then VG30 for that last decade and the diff is still going strong. Would I put one in a V8 Z? Nope, but they sure seem to stand up pretty good to most 4 & 6 cylinders, unless you are talking about drag car with slicks. I just autrocrossed, hillclimbed and daily drove my cars all those years.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's where I'm at on this car (finally):

Got the fat open diff out and am ready to install the R160 (3.70 LSD from a Scooby)... The R160 has bolt-in stub axles, while the original has clip-ins.

stubs.jpg

What stub axles do I need to get to make this diff mate up to my halfshafts?

Thanks all!