HybridZ

280Zx block/240Z head issues

Sealik

Hello... :)

Have some queries on my recent purchase.

It's a 69 510 with a L28 in it. Price was good...and...can't quite say no to any older 4-sale Datsuns in this locale :lol:

Looks like someone started this project years ago and never quite finished.

Bolts missing here and there, old gas, no carbon on head...etc., still has the cross-hatching marks in the cylinders from honing/boring.

The block is a N42 with P79 50 pistons...assuming the cylinders were bored 50 over

Pistons are above deck by about .5mm

P7100008.jpg

P7100005.jpg

The head is a E31....looks like it had recent work on it

P7100004.jpg

Also looks like it's been shaved...From front of engine..4.228, then 4.231 at center and 4.240 near back of head.

Wedged it seems... :blink:

Stock head is....4.248???

Additional marks on head

P7100009.jpg

P7100007.jpg

Head ,intake (E46?) and SUs are from the 71 240Z I believe....SUs need to be cleaned etc.

P7070026.jpg

Anywho......trying to figure out my options to get the pistons to clear the valves, slight contact as seen per pic

Looks like the block hasn't been decked....but I read somewhere that with different crank/ connecting rod/ pistons from the 240 and or the 280 will give you the .5-.6mm positive piston deck height???

Cam is stock(?)...around .413

Don't really want to pull the pistons and get reliefs cut into them.....but.....will a 2 mill HG work?

Thanks

Oh.....here's the ride...

P7060016.jpg

And 1 of my 720 4x4s with a recent LZ23 that I built....

P5010001.jpg

P1140022.jpg

Edited by Sealik

This calculator, which seems to be pretty good (I haven't seen a bad word about it)- http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/ - might help you out. You can even put negative numbers in the head gasket thickness box to simulate a significant head shaving. It will tell you if you have piston-valve contact but doesn't say if you'll have piston "pop-up."

And, no expert, but that piston-valve contact divot in your picture doesn't look slight, does it? Looks like it hit pretty hard and moved some aluminum.

You can run carbs on an N42 or N47 head from an L28 (the common head for that block), they still have the threaded carb manifold holes. That would get your CR down from the >10 the E31 gives, if you want to avoid those potential problems. Not sure about the P79 or P90 heads and carbs, the threaded holes might not be there any more, like they are in the N42 and N47.

Looks like a fun puzzle to piece together.

Looks like a fun puzzle to piece together.

Thanks...I am somewhat baffled on what the PO did :)

Wasn't sure on the negative deck height for the stock 280 flat top piston.....3mm?????

So....if that is correct....add .5mm for mine that are above deck...multiply that by 2, add 79...equals...86 inch stroke?

Think I'm gonna need 2 HGs to drop the CR below 10 and clear the valves........ :lol:

Edited by Sealik

The best bet is that someone screwed up the timing chain install and on first crank-over the pistons hit the valves.

It wasn't due to shaving or excessive lift...it was because the timing was off.

That would be my bet.

The best bet is that someone screwed up the timing chain install and on first crank-over the pistons hit the valves.

It wasn't due to shaving or excessive lift...it was because the timing was off.

That would be my bet.

Thanks Tony...you could be right because those marks on the pistons don't look fresh.

I started the L last week...ran like ****...but it did flash up, chugged actually with bad gas and all :D

Assuming it sat longer than the previous owner stated.

What I'm trying to find out is where the stock flat tops sit relative to the block at TDC

Then I could add my .5mm (above deck) and determine stroke...then compression ratio.

Factoring in the head that has been shaved at least .010 of course :)

I calculated the stoke at 86...assuming a stock negative deck height of 3mm

Bore 86.2

Hg....1.2

E31 volume...42.4cc

Deck height... .012 inches

Would be 10.62 without the shaved head?

Or... 9.84/2mm HG without the shaved head?

First time calculating Cr sooooo... :)

Maybe :D

Edit....measured the stroke...it is 79mm

Disregard my CRs :)

Edited by Sealik