HybridZ

Should I remove rustproofing?

mditt8671

I have a 1971 Series 1 240Z, and the entire engine compartment is rustproofed, I assume by the dealer. The rustproofing SEEMS to have done a decent job, as everything seems solid as far as I can tell.

post-9249-081562500%201301010903.jpg

I am going to remove the engine this winter to thoroughly degrease it, paint it and do some other work on it. While I had it out, I am thinking about removing the rustproofing from the engine compartment so that when I get the car repainted I can have the engine bay painted to match as well (I am probably going to display it at a few local small-time shows).

What's your thoughts on what I should do? I am of the opinion that the painted bay will look better AND I really don't know how good the metal is unless I see it. However, I know it's going to be a LOT of work to get it all out of there. I've started to look at products like Peel Away 7 to see how much time and effort it will save me.

Removing Undercoating with Peel Away 7

Edited by mditt8671

Whomever did it did a really good job on it; the ID plate on the firewall was removed and replace after rustproofing. It almost looks factory.

There are some spots under the battery where it has come away from the metal and there is some rust, though it doesn't appear to be very bad (famous last words, I know). Maybe I'll get some of that stuff and see how it takes off the rustproofing in that area and if it's not too bad I'll do the rest of it...

Edited by mditt8671