HybridZ

Large power loss after 4500rpm

letitsnow

I'm hoping that it's just a bit of crap under one of the towers that I didn't clean well enough, the old cam spun pretty freely, maybe not '2 finger' but better than this. I'm nearly positive I didn't mix up the towers.

When I put it together last night I got 2 finger and 2 hand mixed up and thought I was alright until I did some research. Should hopefully be able to tear it back down tomorrow, if I.

A major revelation I had turning it over while I was setting the lash, I could feel the compression stroke, I never could with the old valvetrain. I just attributed it to being a small low compression engine, being used to large-ish, high compression v8's.

Edited by letitsnow

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep in mind your old setup was hydraulic so it may not have been 'pumped up' completely when you were trying to spin it over by hand before. There wasn't any oil pressure.

Also, it was my understanding that cam towers will wear to the cam a little, so a cam may not spin as freely as you'd want it to on a fresh install. Everything will wear in and it should be fine.

im interested to see your results of the n/a cam, as i have an 82zxt and an 82 n/a parts car decaying in my dads back yard.. i like cheap/free horsepower. also curious because mine falls on its face at 4500 at 10 psi but not 8 psi, thought i have a regular p90 so thats not an issue

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

That has the specs for all the factory L series cams, the '82 N/A is kind of in between the turbo and the s30 L28 N/A cam.

My comparison won't be apples to apples as I was having mechanical issues that the cam swap solved. The p90a also has the smallest of all L series cams.

I can say that it is leaner up top, meaning more air is being ingested, and the car does pull harder above 4000rpms, smoothly up to 6k.

Now, off to tear it apart again. :rolleyes:

Well, I think the head might be warped. :( at least the top of the head.

I can torque all the tower bolts(10ftlb) and head bolts(25ftlb, to test alignment) except the center and it will spin freely, tighten the center and it binds right up. I noticed what feels like a ridge in the shape of the tower under the center, like the tower indented the head slightly.

Do I have any options other than:

1) put it together and forget about it

2) pull the head and have it machined

I don't really like either. :(

Edited by letitsnow

"Also, it was my understanding that cam towers will wear to the cam a little, so a cam may not spin as freely as you'd want it to on a fresh install."

This is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT! The cam should NEVER run on the aluminum bearings except at startup under valve spring pressure. As soon as lubrication is supplied it will run on a film of oil. There is NO 'wearing in' of the cam towers.

Anybody stating there is is missing the line-boring concept, or has improperly installed them and used that as an excuse to justify not going back and making it right.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

That has the specs for all the factory L series cams, the '82 N/A is kind of in between the turbo and the s30 L28 N/A cam.

My comparison won't be apples to apples as I was having mechanical issues that the cam swap solved. The p90a also has the smallest of all L series cams.

I can say that it is leaner up top, meaning more air is being ingested, and the car does pull harder above 4000rpms, smoothly up to 6k.

Now, off to tear it apart again. :rolleyes:

yea, may hold out for an "A" but looks like an "F" would be a big improvement over my "B" cam, to bad my parts car wasnt 2 months older.. woulda had an "A"

The B and F are identical, except the F has a 4 degree advance, not worth taking the valve cover off. If your turbo cam is a J, then maybe, but I'd only bother if you have some time to kill.

I think I'm going to pull the warped head and put on my extra P90(solid) head. The cam spins freely in that, so I don't think it's warped.

If you have an ADJUSTABLE TIMING GEAR you can make a "B" an "F" and vice-versa!

I have a Tomei, and love it! Nothing like dialing in the EXACT cam setting that nets you best power under curve. Usually it's not 'straight up' but 2-3 degrees one way or the other. The effect on Torque can be spectacular...

Tony, I was wondering what your thoughts on reusing MLS head gaskets were. My kameari gasket has been used twice now that I know of. Last time some of the rubberized coating peeled off, so I scrubbed it to bare metal and liberally applied copper coat.

Working under the valvecover, I noticed what looked like a small amount water pooled in the low spots of the head, the oil was not milkshakey and the water was clear, not antifreeze. Think it was condensation?

Yep!

MLS do not compress. They are resuable. Short drives like when testing an engine leads to condensation. If you don't get it up to temperature (oil to 200+) then you will have water in there. If you have a PCV under a slight vacuum in the gearcase, you will 'boil' at a marginally earlier temperature as well. Usually the oil is hottest rolling in from the head, or directly off the bearings---that is where water should be flashing off to steam to be evacuated. If you don't have some place for it to go (PCV, or enough blow-by flow from bad rings to push it out your road-draft tube...) it will stay in there and just build to the point that it turns into sludge.

In Michigan during the winters, people that lived and worked in-town and drove less than 5-10 minutes to work would literally get chocolate mousse in their crankcase from the condensation formed in less than 1000 miles of driving (could be a month or less!!!)

That's about the only positive to a higher temperature thermostat, and that's why they go in mine during the winter for the 'short drive' cars. Anything I drive for an hour at a burst keeps the 160 thermostat.