HybridZ

Help getting poly end links on stock sway bar

This project has been one of the more humbling ones for me. What I think will be simple becomes... I'll stop whining and ask the question.

I'm installing Energy Suspension polyurethane end links on the front of my 280z using the stock sway bar. I can't get everything compressed enough to get the nut on the bottom. The poly bushings have a raised portion on them that is supposed to seat inside the holes on the sway bar and the lower control arm. The raised part seems too large in diameter to fit into the sway bar hole and the lca especially. I think that's partly why I can't get the whole thing together.

Please share your experiences in how to get this compressed enough to get the nut on.

Thank you,

Michael

Edited by mclark999

Double check to be sure the bolt fits through the hole before you even try ,the raised parts do face each other so that they will somewhat center themselves in the holes, I have used clamps to compress the link assembly enough to get the nut started or you could jack one of the control arms up enough to shove them together to get the nut on and then do the same on the other side , one side at a time so the sway bar holds still and wont just rotate in the mount bushings.

Edited by bobzzzz

Are you using the bolt, nut and other hardware provided with the new bushings? The poly bushings won't work with the stock link.

Yes, I'm using all the new hardware that came with the end links. I think I will try a combination of compressing the top two bushings with a clamp and jacking the control arm up to squeeze the bottom. I had not thought of that because the repair manual instructs to put the end links on and then clamp the sway bar to the body.

Thanks for the advice.

Michael

post-895-048640400 1319418617_thumb.jpgWhat a happy sight. Everything renewed and ready for when the struts come back from the welder.

What I ended up doing is bolting the sway bar to the car as usual and then with the end links in place, I put a long piece of pipe on the top and wedged that up in the strut tower where the strut would normally go. Then jacked up the lower control arm which squished the bushings enough to get the nut on.

Edited by mclark999

post-895-048640400 1319418617_thumb.jpgWhat a happy sight. Everything renewed and ready for when the struts come back from the welder.

What I ended up doing is bolting the sway bar to the car as usual and then with the end links in place, I put a long piece of pipe on the top and wedged that up in the strut tower where the strut would normally go. Then jacked up the lower control arm which squished the bushings enough to get the nut on.

Looks good, but aren't the washers for the TC rod bushings supposed to go the other way?