HybridZ

What Shifter do we use

We have a 1982 Datsun 280ZX with a Chev 350 eng & automatic trans. It has the original Datsun shifter. We would

like to install something better, we would like a ratchet. The car will be used for street use. The car is real nice and

how it looks is important to us. You can see the car at:

http://waskomtexas.com/zcar/

We have removed the dash and are putting the original dash back into the car. We are also re wiring the car.

What would you recommend for a shifter? We would consider a used one if it is in very good shape but have no

problem buying a new one.

e-mail us. studioa@prysm.net

Benny

Guest Anonymous

Try the search function and do a search on "shifter", it was discussed a while ago and you can get opinions on which shifter people liked. Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Lone

I have a TCI brand shifter that would work for you. It is the street fighter model brand new never installed I bought it and changed my mind If you are interested e-mail me I'll make you a great deal on it. it woks with both 3 and 4 speed units and is NHRA leagal but not a ratchet style. Keith

Balford, I run the Hammer shifter (been told it's same as the megashifter, just a leather boot and diff. handle...some models are a bit taller/shorter, universal hammer is as short as any B&M has in ratchet as I recall) and like it. It's a bit stiff from Park to Drive but all other movements are fine. I used a stock Nissan shifter for a few years but finally got the ratchet action for security at my roadcourse lapping day events so I had some tighter control on my shifts. As far as looks, check out the base pieces, the boots/knobs etc can all be bought separately which is about all that makes up the looks although spoons might differ a bit. It was a GREAT surprize Xmas present to me or else I"d have got the megashifter icon_biggrin.gif I didn't want the 'pro-stick' look although it certainly had some appeal to me. more info in the search fxn etc.