HybridZ

Z31 electronics in an L28ET

Z Dude

I am looking to do an L28ET swap into a 280z. I have read many other threads about every thing i need out of a turbo 280zx but then i found out about the Z31 ecu, maf, and cas swap. I know that i can use any Z31 cas as long as i have the 82-83 distributor and i am considering using a Z31 harness. So my questions are:

Do i need the Z31t ecu/maf or will an n/a ones work?

If i do need the Z31t ecu/maf, are the wiring harnesses different?

I ask because i have never seen a Z31t in any local junk yard or on craigslist around here, but n/a's seem to be everywhere. Also any wiring diagrams for a 78 280z, 83 280zxt, or 84-86 300zx or zxt would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty sure all the MAFs are the same. You need to swap the Z31 distributor wheel into the 280ZXT distributor, there is no sensor swap. When I did the swap years ago, I got all my wiring diagrams from the factory service manuals at the public library. I don't have my copies anymore, but most of these can be found on the internet.

Yes the NA / Turbo harness are different. I grabbed the FSM for the year I was going to use, 86, printed the wiring harness section, taped them together and had them blown up to a D sized drawing. Made life so much easier.

Make sure you grab (cut) the large electrical plug that goes out from the FI harness into the main body harness.