HybridZ

RHD Z wanted!

GT-R345

On the lookout for a right hand drive S30 model ('70-'79 Fairlady Z coupe). I am located in the Cayman Islands but have no problem making a trip to the US or Canada if need be. I want it to put an RB26 in it so engine condition is not important. Looking for minimal to no rust on the body. Would like a decent interior but this is not as crucial as the body.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump...is it really this hard to find a right hand drive Z?? I've been looking all over the internet...Japan, England, Australia, New Zealand. Found a couple but they are either out of my price range or the seller has not responded. Desperately looking for a nice S30 Fairlady Z to put my RB26 in...please don't let my location turn you off of a possible sale as I am willing to travel to the US or Canada to to secure one.

Thanks for the post spitz

Yea...I saw two for sale on a Japan site and one was a little over $9,000 and the other was $14k. They were in good condition but I really am only looking for a shell. Is the HS30 just the S30 sold in Europe or are there differences between them and other S30's?

I see under your post it says 1972 Fairlady Z / RHD. Does that mean you have a RHD Z?

I don't believe there is any different besides the fact that all HS30 and HLS30 are 2.4L motors (s30s being 2.0L).

My Z is a Japanese spec HS30 240Z-L... so it is RHD, but unfortunately not for sale hehe. Took me over two years to find one in the States =\

The price you mentioned is about right... Good luck with your search!

There are differences between Euro and US S30s. The Euro ones got a different distributor and some had no sidemarker lights (by law, in a country where it was sold). Balance tubes, bumpers were also different. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I've got off the top of my head.

The definition of the term "Euro" needs some refining in this context.

Over here ( in Europe ) I would say that the 'Euro' HLS30 models were quite different from their North American market HLS30-U model siblings, even if both were LHD. The 'Euro' market model HLS30 ( the bulk of them being sold in France, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Portugal ) had different - stiffer - spring and damper rates, a thicker front anti roll bar and a rear anti roll bar, front and rear spoilers, a faster steering rack ratio and the close ratio 5-speed trans and 3.9 diff combination in comparison with the North American HLS30-Us. They also had the distributor with the faster advance curve, as mentioned by Leon, as well as much less in the way of anti smog equipment.

As the OP is asking about RHD models, these will be pretty sparse in the 'Euro' zone. The search will be limited to the United Kingdom, which got the 'HS30-U' model with all the above mentioned specs but - of course - in RHD.

To the OP: If you look for '70 to '79 ( actually 1978 ) production year models of S30 in Japan, bear in mind that the chassis prefix changed to 'S31' in 1976. S31s are S30s too....

When i first start looking for a z i had 3 options, usa spec lhd 73 240z, jap spec rhd 81 280zx 2+2, and a jap spec rhd 71 240z. i chose the 73 because the other two were not running. After i put a hole in the 240z block i bought the rhd 280zx and put the motor into my 73 then sold the shell to a guy from sacramento i believe. The 71 rhd 240z is still were it has been and will be there until i buy it. But sorry i do not know where you cant find one.

I don't believe there is any different besides the fact that all HS30 and HLS30 are 2.4L motors (s30s being 2.0L).

My Z is a Japanese spec HS30 240Z-L... so it is RHD, but unfortunately not for sale hehe. Took me over two years to find one in the States =\

The price you mentioned is about right... Good luck with your search!

come on, give the credit to where it belongs. you didn't find your current car.

When i first start looking for a z i had 3 options, usa spec lhd 73 240z, jap spec rhd 81 280zx 2+2, and a jap spec rhd 71 240z. i chose the 73 because the other two were not running. After i put a hole in the 240z block i bought the rhd 280zx and put the motor into my 73 then sold the shell to a guy from sacramento i believe. The 71 rhd 240z is still were it has been and will be there until i buy it. But sorry i do not know where you cant find one.

I'm not sure I understand this post...are you saying that the RHD Fairlady is still waiting for you and only you to buy it? And you do not know where I can or can't find one?? I created this post so people on the forum could give me pointers or help me in my search for a RHD Z, not to tell me they know where one is but that I can't get it...useless info to me

Roger280ZX: If its the car I am thinking about, it was on Craigslist a couple months ago! The guy I sold my Ferrari convertible replica to( Mark) bought it. He called me as I went with him to pick it up in Monroe Ga. Had been wrecked and had lots of rust but he only wanted it to convert his Ferrari replica over to RHD. I bought a RHD from Mark and then I found a Ferrari coupe kit(Craigslist) to put on it. Marks Ferrari is a convertible. A guy had it at his bodyshop in Monroe. Just putting this out as recent knowledge- It could be another car your talking about!

Odd that you should mention the wheels! I was over helping Mark on the door skins and he mentioned that he wanted me to have the wheels as he has no use for them. I gave Mark a set of true spoke 16" Daytons 8" and 10" wides with the convertible I sold him. I'm going to paint the wheels gold and put them on a completely stock green 260z I have.

I'm not sure I understand this post...are you saying that the RHD Fairlady is still waiting for you and only you to buy it? And you do not know where I can or can't find one?? I created this post so people on the forum could give me pointers or help me in my search for a RHD Z, not to tell me they know where one is but that I can't get it...useless info to me

I'm saying that they are around but very hard to find, when you do find one keep quiet about it until its yours. I was just giving you a hard time man don't take it personal i'm just like that. But i would keep an eye out on craigslist,crazedlist and ebay, but only local cars. If its a state or so over and you really want one make the trip to get it or have it shipped. Also if you ever drive country roads take a peek into driveways as you pass by thats how i found the ones i know about.

Edited by CArFAn