HybridZ

5sp rattle

duragg

Missed a 3-4 shift and hit reverse pretty hard at about 50.

Now at idle with clutch out I hear a rattle. Goes away when clutch pushed in and tranny spools down.

And while driving too I can hear it in lower gears .

Drove about 20 min more and the rattle lessened.

Burrs on teeth? Or toast?

It still works flawlessly except for the funny noise which seems to be getting better.

1983 c/r fs5w71b with new bearings and syncros by me 3 months ago. Also, this model has the reverse thread nut.

My buddy did the same thing to my trans about 15 years ago. The trans lasted about a year after that. Reverse idler lost some chunks, that eventually got into the bearings, and also the main input and counter gears. I had to pull it and rebuild it. If you are lucky, you might catch most of it on the drain plug magnet. Change the fluid as soon as you can. You might want to add a strong magnet to the outside of the case as added insurance. The more chunks you catch, the less damage they can do.

You could feel the damage when using the reverse gear.

Edited by cygnusx1

My ZX 5 speed had a rattle at idle in neutral. Once you started moving you couldn't hear it anymore. My understanding is that it is countershaft bearing noise, it's been discussed here and at classiczcars quite a few times.

A friend of mine had a pretty noticeable one. She replaced the bearings and the noise was gone... for a week. Replaced the bearings again and it was gone... for a week.

If this rattle is the same as she and I had, I think it is affected by having a light flywheel, and she's been driving her car with that rattle for 10 years now, so I wouldn't get too upset about it. Neither of us tried to put the thing in R though, so I do agree that changing the oil and using a strong magnet on the drain plug is a good idea.

This rattle started specifically after a mis-shift and hard hit of reverse at 50+ mph.

Drained oil todaqy which was still clean and new with only 200 miles on since my overhaul.

Lots of steel "fines" on the plug magnet. No chunks or part numbers.

Even stuck my finger way up in there and found nothing solid.

Replenished with new juice and the noise is gone.

Maybe when it is hot it will come back. But seems to be getting better (burrs on gears theory).

Bonus: I pulled driveshaft to replace rear seal I thought was leaking but was not.

I think the speedo cable (not even hooked up) is the culprit.

Hopefully this episode is closed. Maybe will help somebody else down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a 71b in my 240z, and it too makes noise in neutral. I first noticed the noise when I changed to GM synchromesh fluid. It shifts great and makes no noticeable noise in any gear, it's just the bearing noise with that fluid. Previously I was using Lucas gear oil, and it was quite. So it might be the type / weight of gear oil you are using as well.

Mine only makes the noise when it's up to temp. It's quiet when it's cold. For a transmission that 250k on it, I'm not really concerned about a bit of bearing noise.