HybridZ

1972 Datsun Z Project

Welcome to HybridZ. Please familiarize yourself with the search function here-it will help you get what you need and ask informed questions. It is very likely that someone here has already asked & answered your questions. Next, be more specific-vagueness and lack of pictures do not allow us to provide any helpful advice.

Edited by 1 tuff z

at first, i was thinking of restomod.

I already have a built KA motor, turbo & intercooler kit, sr tranny, and aem ems.

but after some research, this build can rack up some serious bills.

so at this moment, i'll repaint the car and get the car started with stock motor.

Yep, Not cheap. These cars are 35-40 years old and will eat your lunch if you let them, but once you get it going, you'll be hooked. But yeah, get it going first, then paint it or sell it, by then you'll understand why we're crazy about them.

Does it start at all as it sits? It's a 72, so it's carb'd, do you know if your carbs have round tops or flat tops? Read up on the Wiki's on Datsun Z's and read on here as much as your little fingers can think up things to search on. You'll be an "expert" in no time.

Buy a copy of How to Restore yourDatsun Z - Car by Wick Humble no matter what direction your project is going. Also, buy the Datsun Z V8 Conversion Manual from Jags that Run (JTR) even if your not planning on a V8 swap. These books saved me countless hours of research and do overs.

JTR link: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/index.html

Edited by Miles

I don't think it's venom that's got PR280z, looks more like alcohol. Don't drink and drive.

No really though, the more you can learn ESPECIALLY before you start buying parts will really make a difference in how your car turns out. On an old (read stock, untouched, classic, "rustfree" creampuff) Z S30, you'll of course want to make it run, and that should be high on your list. But much more important is the ability to make it stop.

I've personally seen this happen twice, people find an old Z and try to drive it home from a field or whereever is sat for years, and they play out in the field, getting it started, then go to drive it home and though initially the brakes were just soft, they were quickly on their way out, so initially they could stop, but the 30 year old rubber didn't have life left or some other issue and after 2 or 3 stops, Boom no brakes.

So make sure that when you're getting your Z going, that you've gone through your brake system. Rebuild kits are still availible as are upgrades like the Toyota S8 calipers. Save your Z and possibly your life, and redo your brakes before trying to drive any where if your Z has been sitting for some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not start the motor as previously posted. i decided to refresh the body and paint the car first. this (image below) was the condition of the z when i picked it up. the previous owner started his restoration project. he sanded down and started to bondo the body panels.

240zbefore.jpg

i decided not to restore the car, but refresh it as much as possible. the picture below is work in progress (primered).

240zwip.jpg

Sun. 12.04.2011 - I went to 3 different Autozone stores in Santa Ana to source the Rustoleum Flat Black spray paint. I only had some time on Sunday morning to work on the car. Since the body was already prepped, I was able to lay down a first coat of flat paint using 8 cans... but it appears I need to spray another coat to even out the color. below is some pictures of the first color pass with the spray can paint. all-in-all, it does not look too bad.

front.jpg

enginecowl.jpg

backside.jpg

I also have a quest for anyone looking at this post. I found a loose wire in the engine bay and can not figure it out... and would appreciate if someone can help me?

loosewire.jpg

Nifty Flat black... Hope you're not going to leave it at that, But hey I guess it's better than multi color rusting out. a nice paint job is pricy anyway. I guess it's your call on that one. at least you did it evenly.

Hmm now that wire, It could be to the condenser. I'm not sure, but I certainly don't trust the "insulation" on it, it looks like fish tank tubing. An easy way to see if it's needed at all is to see if it's live, or a ground wire. Use a meter and check continuity between it and ground, If it's ground, it lends creedance to the condensor idea. if it's live, then you should look harder into what it fell off from, (perhaps the AC, or Alt field wire) Check the S30 FSM's there's a wiring diagram.

Phar

Thanks Phar, well the picture can be disceiving how even the color may look... i plan on recoating the flat black to even out the color for now. i try to avoid planning out the car to a crazy build. i just want to take step by step and drive the car for enjoyment.

my next step is to start to motor, flush all fluids, and inspect the brakes. also, i've also noticed that all the shocks are blown and contemplating rather to use stock replacement shocks or lower the car.

as i was searching online, i ran into this lacked out vinyl covered Z. i wouldnt mind if the car turns out similar to this one. i would appreciate if someone can tell me what they think the wheel type and tire size is on the picture.

modp_1012_03_o1974_nissan_fairlady_zrear_view1.jpg

Edited by 72datsunz

Thanks Phar, well the picture can be disceiving how even the color may look... i plan on recoating the flat black to even out the color for now. i try to avoid planning out the car to a crazy build. i just want to take step by step and drive the car for enjoyment.

my next step is to start to motor, flush all fluids, and inspect the brakes. also, i've also noticed that all the shocks are blown and contemplating rather to use stock replacement shocks or lower the car.

as i was searching online, i ran into this lacked out vinyl covered Z. i wouldnt mind if the car turns out similar to this one. i would appreciate if someone can tell me what they think the wheel type and tire size is on the picture.

modp_1012_03_o1974_nissan_fairlady_zrear_view1.jpg

Those are Volk TE37V wheels, here's the Modifed Mag article about that car including the wheel/tire specs: http://www.modified.com/features/modp-1012-1974-nissan-fairlady-z/viewall.html