HybridZ

JDM s130 misfires like crazy, missing O2 sensor

BluDestiny

So this is what I've been working on. My friend picked this up from sand diego, non running. I had to swap in a new fuel rail and fuel pump and she started up. After hooning around the block a few times in a right hand drive car I proceeded to do fluids, replace vacuum lines, replace rubber hoses and belts etc.

Story behind it is it was brought in to New jersey, but the guy who had it imported never registered it. The guy we bought it from had it shipped to SoCal but he never registered it either. so it has a NJ title.

We just ripped out the interior because it smelled like a rat had pooped everywhere( there was so much rat poo on the intake). Just made him pick up a crane ignition coil and some new plug wires that are about to go in.

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

I just chopped off the exhaust right behind the cat. It spewed out a pile of rust flakes right after and actually ran much better.

It has the crappy black box power steering, but its not really a problem since its right hand drive. It also has rust on both frame rails( pretty bad for the passanger side), the fenders, hatch, hood and everywhere else.

Anyway, There is a port IN the cat, I was thinking it was exhaust gas temp since there is a light on the gauge cluster for it, but there is no O2 port anywhere. The O2 sensor plug is just hanging as pictured.

PICT0005.jpg

Since the egr is plugged anyway, I'm swapping in a spare P82 non egr intake with a non EGR stock cast header that has an O2 sensor. Hoping this will make it run right. I'm sure that the ECU's are no different( USDM vs JDM).

Wondering is there are any major differences from a USDM model. I think that a USDM motor set was swapped in (it did come with an L28 from Japan, may have been swapped while it was in Jersey), hence all the crap wiring and blocked ports.

It is also a wiring nightmare in the Engine bay.

This thing needs a lot of work...

Edited by BluDestiny

Either swap the entire EFI system, or put an O2 sensor in (and check to see if it has a connector for a stepper-motor IAC)...You couldn't be more wrong about the ECU! Especially pre-82 as the JDM cars had O2 feedback from DAY ONE on the S130.

The Japanese version EFI's were FAR advanced from what was in even California. My July 78 Produced S130 has O2 Sensor, as well as stepper motor IAC on it, and if that O2 Sensor is not connected and giving a proper switching signal like on an 82/83 US Model it will go pig rich 'limp home safe'.

Someone probably specified an engine by model year, and being in NJ they gave them parts for a Federal Model...which didn't get an O2 Sensor till 81/82. Manifold is a direct fit, but no bung for the O2.

Anything applicable to the 82/83 models in regard to the O2 Circuit testing/function is applicable to this car.

Holy cow thanks Tony, I was about to pull the ECU out of mine and check the number. That makes sense if they put in federal stuff and didn't get the O2 sensor bung.

It does not have any connectors for an IAC or even the cold start injector. It does have a clip going into the bottom of the throttle body that my s130 doesn't have, the bcdd I think is what the haynes says.. Currently I'm doing the "swap in an 02 sensor" manifold to see how it will run.

edit: is the IAC the thing under the throttle body? I may have been thinking of the Auxiliary air valve

Edited by BluDestiny

• 2 weeks later...