HybridZ

Terminology lesson

duragg

I have searched and still confused, need a little terminology lesson.

What is the proper name and location for:

1) The front flange on the diffy where the driveshaft connects to?

2) The side axles that snap into the sides of the diffy? (Stub Axle?)

3) Where do companion flanges live?

4) The axle with the wheel mounting bolts? (also Stub Axle?)

I've seen a lot of these parts called a lot of things.

Here's my understanding from reading here:

1. Differential input flange.

2. These are stub axles, they can be snap/clip in or bolt in.

3. Companion flanges are a two piece system that hold the wheel bearings in the rear hubs. The 280z units have more splines and are stronger than the 240z ones. They are completely interchangeable.

4. I have understood this to be part of the "companion flanges" sets, although they re frequently referred to as stub axles. They technically are a type of stub/short axle, so this name is appropriate. However, it's confusing since the stub axles that go into the diff are also referred to as "stub axles".

I'd appreciate it if someone can chime in and comment here. There's a lot of different names floating around for these parts since there are multiple names that are appropriate for them. If I remember correctly, the naming terminology from the FSM is ambiguous as well.

I have searched and still confused, need a little terminology lesson.

What is the proper name and location for:

1) The front flange on the diffy where the driveshaft connects to?

2) The side axles that snap into the sides of the diffy? (Stub Axle?)

3) Where do companion flanges live?

4) The axle with the wheel mounting bolts? (also Stub Axle?)

I've seen a lot of these parts called a lot of things.

1) Companion Flange

2) Side Flange

3) Typically at a bolted connection between 2 shaft with flexible joints such as a propellor shaft or drive shaft

4) Rear Axle Shaft (from FSM), more commonly: Stub Axle

Some mixed signals here. Those are technically correct but since there are multiple parts that can be given the same name it's best to clear the air with what's most common for each

Stub Axle - most commonly referring to the one that the wheel bolts onto. It seems custom to call the ones that go in the diff stub shafts

Half shafts - half sized driveshafts (have u-joints on them) ie. the ones between the diff and the wheels (or CVs if you got em)

Companion Flange - most commonly referring to the connecting piece between half shafts and stub axles. The flange on the front of the diff should be referred to more specifically eg. diff flange

In other words they are connected in this order (perhaps a master diagram would have been nice):

driveshaft - diff flange - diff => stub shaft - half shaft or CV - companion flange - stub axle - wheel

:bonk:

What Pete posted is exactly correct, according to Nissan.

1) Companion Flange

2) Side Flange

3) see "beermanpete" definition

4) Rear axle shaft + companion flange

Source:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsunS30/DatsunZIndex/PowerTrain/DifferentialGear/R200/tabid/1727/Default.aspx

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsunS30/DatsunZIndex/Axle/RearAxleDriveShaft/tabid/1730/Default.aspx

As others have mentioned, people tend to interchange terminology with these parts so that is where the confusion comes from.

For example:

The companion flange at the diff can be called diff flange, pinion flange, etc.

The side flange gets referred to as stub axle, stub shaft, diff companion flange, etc.

The rear axle shaft gets referred to as stub axle, companion flange, etc.

In the end, if the terminology isn't clear, ask which companion flange they're referring to!

Thanks again all.

Installing an R200 in my 240 soon and I need a #1, 2 @ #2 and probably some other stuff.

I think once it is all in my hands and mocked up it will make more sense.

These definitions help to at least reinforce that one needs to be sure which what is what.